Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Burning Skin

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by reddog64, Jan 5, 2003.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

When your welding... wear gloves.... fireproof ones..... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Dont ask...

But my finger really hurts.... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I duct tape my pockets closed when I am doing a bunch of welding too. Skins burns, but when some slag falls into your pocket, burns through and catches the ole pubes on fire that ain't no kind of fun either. Don't ask....

John

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Ever had a red hot piece of slag go down your shirt? The natural reaction is to pull your shirt away from your body and suck your gut in...which only leads to the hot slag going down the front of your pants. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Been there, done that!!!

Welding burns can really hurt, I have some nasty stories about them too.

Rene

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

another good one is when you get some slag in your shoe. I once set the undocumented world land speed (on foot without the assistance of a motorized unit of any kind) record wearing a pair of cowboy boots....

John

5. tRustyK5

The worst burns I've had have been when I'm forced to work in a very cramped position underneath something. I recall welding overhead when there was only 3 feet between what i was welding and the floor. The only way I could see and still weld the piece had my feet somewhat vulnerable...which i discovered the hard way when a liquid glob of steel the size of a pea dropped down the front of my boot and settled onto/into the top of my foot. By the time I could get the boot off and the piece dug out it had burned down to the bone and left a very nasty divot that took forever to heal...

There is very little that bothers me more than smelling my own flesh burn... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

If you have a strong stomach I'll tell you about my wedding ring incident...

Rene

6. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

The wedding ring incident? dont weld in water or lean against what your welding on? dad was in the hospital for 2 hrs getting his wedding band picked out of his skin whan he melted it.noit pretty.

7. tRustyK5

I was fitting up an outrigger on a low bed trailer and was tacking without gloves on (something I do often enough...)

I tacked above where I was holding it and a blob of steel that was liquid dropped and landed on my wedding ring. Gold sure transfers heat fast...I pulled the ring off as fast as I could and a bunch of burnt skin came off with the ring. There were several layers of skin missing all around that finger and the steel blob had burnt all the way through the ring and was still imbedded in it.

Rene