Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Burning Smell and Schreeching In Clutch Area

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DuallyK5, May 27, 2006.

1. DuallyK5

DuallyK5 Registered Member

I just got a another 88 k5 with a 8 inch lift and 38.5 super swamper boggers. I dropped a 350sb into it from another blazer i had. Now i was just driving home and 1 street from my house when i took a turn i started to hear a schreeching noise, pretty loud. Now my clutch seems to be actuating fine and not slipping at all. What could this be. Sometimes is stops and then if i push the clutch pedal in it can make it sound more screechyer or stop it but is fluckuates. Can someone please help me figure out whats wrong with it. I had a sm465 4speed with granny low. Thanks. Oh yeah and it doesnt smell like a clutch burting almost like a plastic kind smell but im pretty sure there is a bearing in the crank and not the buishing u can get.

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

throwout bearing or the input retainer is broken

3. DuallyK5

ok

Thats what i thought it would be but im pretty sure its just the bearing since it stops every now and then. It only happen a strett from my house witch is good. Is it bad to drive it like that like will it wear anything out or break anything by over heating it?

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Depends on what it is. I would get it fixed either way.

5. DuallyK5

ok

Yeah I drove not to far so i could pic my car up. It seems that the clutch was pretty stiff when i first got it compared to my buddies blazer but it got a bit stiffer now and i got a new bearing from advanced auto parts but i had a quick question. Part of it is plastic is that alright like will it hold up cause i dont know how throwout bearing work completly could someone explain it to me?

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Well the retainer will look like this. Be sure it is not broken.
    [​IMG]
    This is a typical throwout bearing installed on the fork and retainer.
    [​IMG]

If it does not look like this something is wrong. Keep in mind that the second pic I posted is not form a SM465. I have no isea what it is......but it will look essentially the same.

Now the throwout bearing pushes on the forks of the pressure plate and releases the pressure between the clutch disk and the flywheel. You will see it when you tear it apart. Be sure that you use a clutch alignment tool when you put it back together

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Here you can see an alignment tool in the very center. Also note hte wear on the pressure plate fingers. his is typical and does not necessarily indicate a problem.
    [​IMG]

8. rumbly truck

rumbly truck 1/2 ton status

Is the bellhousing tight to the transmission? And the bellhousing to the block?

9. DuallyK5

yeah

Yeah the bellhousing is tight on the block and the trans. Im pulling it apart i think tommrow.