Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

burning spring bushings STINK!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by four_by_ken, May 30, 2002.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

And that darn smell didnt go away.

In order to remove the old rubber bushings in the rear, I had to heat up the inner sleeve to melt the rubber around it, and then pull it out. Then use a screwdriver to pry out the rest of the rubber.

But, man did that stink. Worse than what I remember burnt rubber smelling. And man my cloths stunk too. Wife wondered what the hell I was doing. Poor dog stunk too.

Glad buring tires dont stink like that. I like that smell. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Ken H.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I hear ya.....! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I only "drilled out" my bushings and even that smelled pretty bad. I can only imagine what actual burning ones smell like......probably lots of black smoke everywhere too, eh? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I used a drill also. Had like 6-8 holes all around the sleeve in the rubber. Still couldnt get it to moove. Was getting agravated and didnt want to break the bit. So, out came the little propane torch bottle.

Ken H.

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I used an axcedylene (sp) torch myself... Not only does it smell but it is tough to get off the concrete floor. Tracking it into the house on the carpet made me real popular too.

John

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Sounds like somebody got some new greasable bushings! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Been there and done that, my shop stank for a week! I also used a little propane bottle torch. Worked like a champ!