Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Burnouts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer, Oct 21, 2000.

1. Blazer

Blazer Newbie

How do you do those really cool smoky burnouts? You know the ones where you stand still for a minute with the tires spinnning and smoking and then take off. Do you use the brakes or what?

2. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Called power braking. Hold the break and mash the GAS!! There's a guy in the local 4x4 club called the Ground Pounders and he can power brake. He has a Chevy truck with 40" Bajas on it. I don't know how he does it, but with mud tires.......it sounds PHAT!!

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

3. cpqtim

cpqtim Registered Member

That ain\'t no burnout!!

Cmon,

You gotta be kidding, that stuff is reserved for high school parking lots! I remember I guy in highs school who had a f-250 with a 460 in it. He would roll them off in low range. One day the rear u-joint blew off at the diff which put more torque to the front axle which blew mere u-seconds later. Really cool!! Any way JC Whitney sells line locks for about 20 bucks. I use them on my boat hauling truck. Just step on the brake and push the button. I have mine set up on the front brakes as the rear wheels are sometimes in slimy boat ramps. One day I set the line lock while pointed down hill and the boat on the trailer. Tongue weight is about 800 lbs. Big Suburban with 12.5 radials on it.

Now I usually use low range ( front hubs disengaged ) to move around ramp areas as it is easier on the tranny, hills can be steep. Buddy hops in to move the truck, (line lock set in front) stereo going full blast, 12 beers in him, no brains etc., and proceeds to attempt to drive around the ramp area. Burb had a mini spool and 454 so it just went ahead and went. Talk about a burnout! Tached out in first catches second and builds speed until front end catches on dry pavement back down to first at redline, smoke rolling and howling like bitch. This went on for about a couple hundred yards, woulda been more but it would not turn worth a damn. Layed two 12.5 inch black streaks wrinlked asphalt and all for 200+ yards. The only reason he stopped is cause it would't turn, you could see him slowly working the wheel left and run. He just got out looked behind him and shrugged his shoulders, got a beer out of the boat and took a whiz behind the nearest pickup truck and yelled "boat don't tow worth a [censored]". Back tires were about ¼ inch shy of tread compared to the front after that! Welll we proceeed straight to the campsite afte that and razzed him all night. He owns a jeep no less!

Tim T.

4. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

there is a thing called a line lock that holds your front tires still until you release it. they are usually mounted on your shifter, then you dump lots of bleach on your rear tires, press the line lock and plant your foot in the carb. you won't be able to see the car for all the white smoke.

"who dares wins"

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When I was a dumb-ass kid in high school we used to do that stuff. I had a 72 Dart with a 340 auto and a 8 3/4" 3.23:1 sure grip rear end. I used to put vise grips on the rear brake lines (told you I was a dumb-ass).
    We used to call them brake stands though.
    Anyways, that little car would have lit them up real good even without the vise grips but I hate doing brakes [​IMG]. Looked real cool but man that car would stink like burnt rubber for weeks.
    I should never have gotten rid of that car, it was way too much fun!! [​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

6. Blazer

Blazer Newbie

How hard is a lineloc to instal? how much does it cost

7. DOUGHBOY

DOUGHBOY Registered Member

what i did on my camaro (first car)i filled my wiper fluid resivour with bleach then ran a tube from there to the back tires that way i could control the amount of bleach to the tires

guns dont kill postal workers do

8. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

I can do it with my truck. Have been able to do it since it was stock. All I do is put it in a forward gear, step on the brakes (HARD!!!!), and then step on the gas, slowly increasing the gas. It will sort of "preload" the brakes. It kinda "hunkers" down some, the front end drops, and then all of a sudden, WWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH and lots of white smoke go my cheap @ss rear tires. Definately not good for the brakes or the tires, and I'm sure some more stuff. One of these days when I grow up I will stop taking such fun out of it. Hope this helps.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's[​IMG]

9. cpqtim

cpqtim Registered Member

Blazer,
    Twenty bucks, JC whitney. From master cylinder run about a 2-3 foot piece of brakeline to the unit which will mounted near emergency brake lever. Device is about 2"square x 3/4 inch. From device run another piece of line back to the line you disconnected from master cylinder and join the two with a double female fitting. Step on brake and mash unit button, release brake and you are locked. To release step on brake again. Viloa, go roast em.
    Tim T.

10. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I dont believe in powerbraking. My 85 K3500 dually had a 454. All you had to do drop the clutch hard and you broke loose. You haven't lived life till you have seen a Dually p/u cooking them at a stoplight.

11. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Blazers are NOT made for burn outs....trust me my gears got toasted.

Waiting for the surgeon general to ban K5's and Jimmys for being too addictive

12. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Get your sell a built big block drop it into a truck (light a** end) add poss rear and step on gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!ZZZOOO000ooommm. That's what happens when your in high school and cross and '49 Ford F-1 P/U with a 454... Thank good I had friends that worked at gas stations. Needed someplace to put tires on.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

13. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I used to do brake stands in my 86 S-10 Blazer. I'd hold the brake and hammer the gas. The tires would spin and the back of the truck would get engulfed in smoke. I had people convinced that I didn't really have the 2.8L V6 in it. Then my rearend started going out and I had to replace the whole posi-rear diff. That was in my younger days.....

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com

14. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Cr#p everytime I try to light my tires up the mud puts them out, and I gave up a long time ago the effort to look cool, I'm more impressed with a good solid line up a rock faced hill, or a good run down a bog[​IMG]....tires=<font color=green>money</font color=green> why in the world would set fire to <font color=green>money</font color=green>[​IMG]...guess I'm just showing my age but I hardly ever did that when I was young and stupid[​IMG]...just at the tracks racing the ole straight lines......

White Knight.....not SMOKEY

15. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

1969 Buick Stage 1.

Enough said.

behemoth K5

16. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Back before I had my blazer I was driveing my brothers hand me down Honda Civic CRX. Not a very powefull car, and front wheel drive. My friend darred me to somke em and I knew it would embarass my sister in her highschool parking lot. I hammered the gas pedal and dumped the clutch around 6k rpm. Boy was there smoke. I moved about three feet in 60 seconds, and made it all the way into 2nd gear. My sister did not get into the car untill all her friends left. We went to different highschool at the time so no one knew who I was. The principal did have a chat with her the next day though. HAHAHAHA. Boy was that fun. There is nothing like driveing a car that you did not pay for.

Sparky

78 K-5