Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Burnt CD's vers regular CD's.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've been burning myown CD's on my computer from songs I've downloaded. Anyways, I popped in one of my old CD's (From before when I started burning) today and I have too say it sounded better the the discs I burn. Anyone else notice a difference in sound quality ???[/URL]

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

burn CDs are of lower quality these days. A burned CD a few yaers ago lasted, well I still have them... One I burned last week, already skips on some CD players. Burned CDs sound worse because its like copying a copy in a copier machine, quality goes down as you go down the chain. We should all just go back to Vinyl. Sooner or later I will get a turn table.

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It also doesn't help that a lot of the songs downloaded aren't the greatest quality in the first place. They sound decent on computer speakers but Sled's copy machine analogy is correct.

4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

When comparing old cd burners to new ones, its speed that counts.

A burner's laser actually etches into the label (or cd material, whatever you want to describe it as) as it burns. The faster the burn, the shallower the etch. So if you want them to last, not skip, and play on lots of players, slow buring is your friend. The shallower etch is more easily damaged by scratches and dirt.

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

X2
    I kept an old alpine car stereo for a long time that wouldn't play burned CDs. I found that if I burned them at 2 speed, the Alpine would play them. I also noticed that they sounded better on other players. So now, unless it is a trailride cd, I burn them slow onto decent blanks.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well I could see a degredation each generation , if the file was ripped , burned to cd , ripped again from cd , then burnt again .

However due to being digital , if its on the hard disk , you can make all the copies you want from the hard disk without it getting anyworse .

I always choose the highest bitrate I can when making computer files off a CD . Downloads are a crap shoot quality wise .

It sounds allright most of the time , since most people don't hear the complete 20hz-20khz anyway :D

7. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

What Pauly said is correct also...

You gotta have a decent quality MP3 to get a decent CD track. An MP3 with a bit rate of 320 is gonna make a waaay better CD track than one with a 128 bitrate.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Right and if you use my analogy it is like this. The way you are talking is like taking the original, copying it, and using that copy to make a thousand copies. The way people sometimes do it is, make a copy, make a copy of that, and so on. You also have to think, even if it is 320 bit rate(which I try to download all my songs at and when I rip I make them this), do you have any clue how many times that song has been ripped and copied and whatever?

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I thought that as long as it was ripped at 320 each time there was no degradation in quality because it is a simple transfer of digital information.