Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Burnt Valve?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazerbob, Jun 9, 2000.

1. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

First the background; 83 K5 w/ 81 vette 350 w/new timing chain,cam,gaskets and seals.2 days ago it started idling rough then yesterday when wife was going up steep hill it started popping thru right side of the exhaust. Now every time you "get on it" it pops thru right side once or twice. I changed the whole distributor last night except for coil and still the same[​IMG]. Today 2 people said it sounds like a burnt valve. What exactly does burnt valve mean and does that diagnosis sound correct? Thanks for the help.

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

The easiest way to check for a burnt valve is to do a compression check. If it's low (under 100 psi) then you have problems. It almost sounds like a timing problem, or advance prob in the distributor, but is hard to tell not being there!! Try the comp check and see what that tells you.

ken

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Do the compression check....worst case scenerio you will have to pull the heads for a valve job...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Remove your coil wire so when you crank the engine it'll turn, but not start. If you have a burned valve you will hear a change in the pitch or tone of your motor cranking. It will speed up on that cylinder bcos there is no compression.

5. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

I just checked the compression and 2,4,6,8 were at 140. 1,5,8 were at 150 and 3 was at 160. I checked timing and that is correct also.

6. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

Re: Burnt Valve? not!

Well I replaced the coil and spark plugs and it is running better now thank goodness! The plugs had some carbon buildup on them. Could the carbon buildup be the problem? The motor only has less than 5,000 miles but has alot of carbon buildup. I don't know if this is from the motor never running over 160 degrees or carb problem. I guess I will see how long these plugs last.

7. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Fouled plugs will diffently do this. Make sure settings are right on carb. May have to go one heat range up on plug.EX.ac44 to ac45's. Had to do this on my 66 grand prix not enough highway driving. Usally all plugs will be carboned up if it was the carb. were the plugs carboned up or oil fouled?

8. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

Yes the plugs were carbon fouled! I think the carb may be screwed up. If someone buys my 80 K5 parts rig I will use some of that money to buy a new carb. I already had AC r45ts plugs in it.
    thanks for all the suggestions guys!