Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Burnt Valve????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Jun 23, 2000.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey Dudes can a header exhaust leak at the flange damage an exhaust valve?? How do exhaust leaks effect the motor/heads other than make an anoying phat phat phat noise???

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I've never heard of it damaging anything, only the annoying sound of air passing through the leak.

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I have heard that running a motor without manifolds or headers can damage the exhaust valves by allowing the cold air to rush back in through the exhaust ports, and warping or cracking the valves. I have also heard people swear that this will not happen. I suppose if the header leak was bad enough, something like this could happen, but I doubt it.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ok good, the leak I have is small, just enough to hear it.
    I think it will be allright, I have changed the gaskets to the copper ones but my flange is warped and I will get the thick deadsoft next but low on the priority list right now!
    Later

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

5. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

A leak won't hurt but running without manifold will burn/swallow valve.
    Just like a cutting tourch which actually burns steel by adding a stream of O2 to red hot metal fresh air will cause the exhaust valve to burn. So never run and engine without manifold or headers.

6. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

I kept blowing out my gasket on my headers because the headers were worped. I never had a problem except for the anoying sound it made. A friend of mine has a old Nova with the same problem and he said that he cured it by soaking a regular gasket in water then installed it but just snug with the bolts then let it expand. The next day he would torque the bolts down. I never tried it but he said it never failed him. Who knows. Just a thought.

Getsome

7. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Ithink those passanger side manifolds all leak napa sells new ones for 99$I'm planning on buying a set