Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

burping a 2.2 head

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MIKE_MN, Jun 13, 2001.

1. MIKE_MN

MIKE_MN Registered Member

I KNOW THIS IS THE WRONG FORUM.BUT I AM SURE ALL THE WRENCHHEADS ON THIS BOARD WORK ON OTHER TRUCKS. I AM REPLACING A CRACKED 2.2 HEAD AND WAS TOLD TO BURP THE HEAD(REMOVE ALL THE AIR(REPLACE WITH ANTIFREEZE) FROM THE HEAD. DO I JUST FILL UP THE RADIATOR OR DO I HAVE TO DO SOMETHING SPECIAL.
    I KNOW STEVE CHIN WILL PUT IN A GOOD SUGGESTION. SO THANKS IN ADVANCE. THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYONE.
    MIKE IN MINNESOTA 72 BLAZER K/5 350 465 TRANNY, 205 T-CASE WITH A FOUR INCH LIFT.

MIKE FROM MINNESOTA 72 CHEVY BLAZER

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

air usually gets traped below the thermostat. you can fill the radiator up and wait till the water slowly fills the gallaries in the block/heads/etc or remove the water thermostat housing, fill to the rim and replace it. check the water level in the rad once your engine is warm(thermostat open).

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

It also helps to agitate the cooling system by repeatedly squeezing the hoses. I like to jack the car or truck up so that the radiator is also located higher than the engine to help any air pockets leave. A lot of guys will drill a couple of 1/8"-3/16" holes in their thermostats to aid in air escaping.