Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Burying Man's best friend

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Aug 30, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Burying Man\'s best friend

I started going to pick up cash from a job and get the K5 inspected, when my wife comes running over to me in the truck and says, "Go to your mom's house, Betsy's dying!" Betsy's thier mutt... They're 4-hours away for the weekend and we're house/dog-sitting for them, which originally just entailed feeding and letting out the dog...

So I go over to my mom's and sure enough, the poor beast is lying on the floor shivering and breathing hard, not able to stand up or really even lift her head up. Poor dog's mouth was completely dried out from panting like that, and her eyes were kind of glazed from not blinking I guess. So I start petting her and cooing her, she tries to get up and responds to me calling her, but then has like a siezure or spasm and spends a minute or so shaking on the floor. I call my mom, who's like "yeah, she's done this before, she'll be fine, just put her in a box with a blanket under the kitchen table and she'll be fine." So I tell her the dog is in misery, and will need a vet. My wife call's one of her friends with horses to get a good vet recommendation (first vet we called in the phone book was unrealistically snotty with us because we weren't the owner and were just taking care of the dog. Sorry, you're not getting my buck with that attitude when I'm in need here!), and finally we and the kids take the dog. Vet says she's paralyzed on her right side with either diabetes or a tumor, so we should admit her or euthanize her. I said euthanize her, the poor beast in in agony and miserable, and my mom on the phone says no, she's driving home now, she wants my little brother to be able to say goodbye.

So we take her home, lay her on the kitchen floor nice and comfy, I go and take the kids to my friends store for a little bit, and my wife calls to say Betsy's gone, she just had her last breath and died.

So, I dug her grave, and my little brother and I laid her in it, and buried her. Poor kid used to do everything with that dog, though. Her used to take her with him to take out the friggin garbage...

It's kind of wierd, it has me kind of pensive right now.

A sad part is I was on the phone with my mom early this morning before we had been to thier house and knew the dog was dying, and I said to my mom, "I should put that dumb mutt out of it's misery, she's too much of a pain in the butt." I just meant because my parents go away so much and the dog is alone on weekends alot, with just my wife and I taking care of her. I meant I'd give her away, though, not that I really wanted her gone.

So the old adage, "watch what you wish for"...

edit: [angry line chopped out].

2. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Re: Burying Man\'s best friend

Man, that's sad. Reading it brought a tear to my eye. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I didn't realize how this kinda did strike me. My wife took it pretty hard when she saw my little brother lose it. I buried the dog with my brother and he seemed fine to me, I guess I was trying to give him a little more space, though. I dunno, but it's wierd now when I go to their house not worrying about locking the gate to thier yard as much walking through it.

4. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

been there, done that. very hard to do... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

5. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Im so sorry to hear that.

Even when its not your own pet, its effects you becuase you are there during their time of suffering. It just proves that you are a compassionate person and wanted what was best for the dog. Fortunatly you were there for her when she was sick and tried to get her help instead of letting it go.

You did your best, thats all that matters. Im sure she appreicates it /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

The good thing is that she's not suffering anymore. And she didn't die alone. I think dogs are okay with death, just so long as someone is there to comfort them

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

A little over a year ago I had to burry my mothers dog. It went blind and after 6 months, he hadn't adjusted. The dog just wasn't happy, all he would do is eat, sleep, and crap. It was a had choice to make, but she felt it was no life at all for him if he couldn't be happy. I had to take him to the vet to have him put down. Not even my dog, and I personally don't care for ankel bitters, but I cried carring the body out and the whole time digging the grave.

8. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

What a sweet a nobel thing for you to do for your mother and the dog. Im sure it is much happeir now.. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

An end to suffering is how I try to look at it.

10. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Yes this may be corny to you GUYS on here but Im going to throw the rainbow bridge here anyways /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color="blue"> Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown......
    </font color>