Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

busbars/power distribution boxes question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uberbeans, May 12, 2006.

1. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for advice looking for a busbar or power distribution box so that I don't have so many accessories running to my battery cable terminals. With my dual winch power leads and power inverter and electric fuel pump, etc, etc, things are getting pretty crowded. Any leads (pun intended)?:D

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think "SierraClassic" had posted pictures and description of what he's running. I did a pretty exhaustive search but couldn't find the one I wa slooking for, if it was indeed him.

Generally late 80's and 90's GM FWD stuff has them in it, most seem to be red if they are just a junction box and not equipped with relays and fuses.

I got mine out of a Cadillac. It has two posts on it, which makes it handy I think to run...one wire from the battery to one post that you never have to pull, and the other one used to add and remove wiring from. Apparently there are some single post designs as well.

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Just about every properly installed multi-amp, concrete-cracking stereo super-system that I've seen used a power distribution block/buss bar type of setup.

4. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Yeah, am aware of the stereo route. I need a bus bar that will allow 2 gauge cable coming FROM it to run my power inverter and if memory serves 4 gauge for my each of my winches. My other stuff is small. Anymore ideas? I would have to run one for each power and ground and I could use the audio stuff, I just wanted to stay away from the bling factor. ANY ideas would be great.

5. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I'd probably just go to a local electrical supply store and pick their brains on power distribution. They might have a little electrical panel/breaker box/load center that could work.