Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bush [darn]'in ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Bush [darn]\'in ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Middle East - AP
    Bush Makes Surprise Visit to Baghdad
    5 minutes ago

By TERENCE HUNT, AP White House Correspondent

BAGHDAD, Iraq - President Bush (news - web sites) made a surprise Thanksgiving visit to American troops in Baghdad Thursday, flying secretly to violence-scarred Iraq (news - web sites) to thank U.S. forces for serving there. It was the first trip ever by an American president to Iraq — a mission tense with concern about his safety.

"You are defending the American people from danger and we are grateful," Bush told some 600 soldiers who were stunned and delighted by his appearance.

The president's plane — its lights darkened and windows closed to minimize chances of making it a target — landed under a crescent moon at Baghdad International Airport.

Bush flew in on the plane he most often uses, and White House officials went to extraordinary lengths to keep the trip a secret, fearing its disclosure would prompt terrorist attempts to kill him.

With the president out of sight, L. Paul Bremer, the chief U.S. civilian administrator, told the soldiers it was time to read the president's Thanksgiving proclamation and that it was a task for the most senior official present.

"Is there anybody back there more senior than us?" he asked. That was the cue for Bush, who promptly stepped forward from behind a curtain, setting off pandemonium among the troops.

"I was just looking for a warm meal somewhere," he joked. "Thanks for inviting me."

The news of Bush's trip was not released until he was in the air on the way back to the United States. "If this breaks while we're in the air we're turning around," White House communications director Dan Bartlett told reporters on the flight to Baghdad.

While here, Bush spoke with soldiers from the 1st Armored Division and the 82nd Airborne Division at an airport mess hall. "You are defeating the terrorists here in Iraq," he said, "so we don't have to face them in our own country."

Terrorists are testing America's resolve, Bush said, and "they hope we will run."

"We did not charge hundreds of miles into the heart of Iraq, pay a bitter cost of casualties, defeat a ruthless dictator and liberate 25 million people only to retreat before a band of thugs and assassins," the president said, prompting a standing ovation and cheers.

Wearing an exercise jacket with a 1st Armored Division patch, Bush stood in a chow line and dished out sweet potatoes and corn for Thanksgiving dinner and posed with a platter of a fresh-baked turkey.

Plans for the trip were tightly held among a handful of senior aides. First lady Laura Bush, preparing a Thanksgiving Day dinner, was not told until Tuesday or Wednesday. Bush's parents, former President George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush, were invited to his ranch for the holiday but were not informed.

As for Bush taking the risk of a trip to Baghdad, Bartlett said it was appropriate for the president to visit troops on Thanksgiving. "It is also appropriate that the president travel in a way that his safety and security will not be compromised," he said.

Bush said with confidence that measures had been taken to ensure his safety and that of others.

The president had slipped away from his Texas ranch in an unmarked vehicle and was driven to a nearby airport, where he climbed aboard Air Force One on the back stairs rather than the front.

"If you were sitting outside the ranch waiting for the president you would not have known the president had just left," Bartlett said.

The plane stopped at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., outside Washington, to pick up a few aides and four reporters and a camera crew sworn to secrecy. Five photographers and another reporter accompanied him from Texas after being summoned just hours before his departure.

Security fears were heightened by an attack last Saturday in which a missile struck a DHL cargo plane, forcing it to make an emergency landing at the airport with its wing aflame.

Bush spent about two and a half hours on the ground, limiting his visit to the airport dinner with U.S. forces. The troops had been told that the VIP guests would be L. Paul Bremer, the U.S. administrator in Iraq, and Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, commander of coalition forces in Iraq.

In a ruse staged in the name of security, the White House had put out word that Bush would be spending Thanksgiving at his ranch in Crawford with Mrs. Bush and his parents and other family members. Even the dinner menu was announced.

Instead, Bush slipped away from his home without notice.

Within the White House only a handful of senior aides knew about the trip, officials said.

Security fears were underscored by regular attacks against U.S. forces in Iraq. More than five dozen U.S. troops were killed by hostile fire in November, more than any other month since the end of major combat in Iraq on May 1. Early this week, a U.S. military official, Col. William Darley, said attacks peaked at more than 40 per day about two weeks ago and have since dropped to about 30 per day.

The violence persisted Thursday as the president was en route here.

Insurgents fired a rocket-propelled grenade at the Italian mission in Baghdad, damaging the building but causing no injuries, the U.S. military said. Also, a U.S. military convoy came under attack on the main highway west of Baghdad near the town of Abu Ghraib, witnesses said. And in the northern city of Mosul, unidentified gunmen shot dead an Iraqi police sergeant, said Brig. Gen. Muwaffaq Mohammed.

Since operations began, nearly 300 U.S. service members have died of hostile action, including 183 since May 1 when Bush declared an end to major fighting.

Bush's father visited U.S. troops at a desert outpost in Saudi Arabia on Thanksgiving Day 1990, in the runup to the Gulf War (news - web sites). The first President Bush had been the first U.S. president to visit a war zone since President Nixon went to Vietnam in 1969.

Dwight David Eisenhower, as president-elect, visited Korean battle fronts in December 1952 and President Lyndon Johnson made two wartime trips to Vietnam.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Bush [darn]\'in ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, my new hero!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I saw that Hilary Clinton was in Afghanistan. Sure is nice of these people to give up time with their families to visit with the troops. Though I don't agree with everything going on, the troops need our support. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I saw that Hilary Clinton was in Afghanistan. Sure is nice of these people to give up time with their families to visit with the troops. Though I don't agree with everything going on, the troops need our support. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was deployed I sure wouldn't want that bitch to come visit me! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

You know it wouldn't mean much to me either, but, the fact that someone in her position took the time to be away from home on Thanksgiving to talk and visit with me would mean something. Most people in her position aren't over there taking time out of their personal life to visit with troops are they?

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    You know it wouldn't mean much to me either, but, the fact that someone in her position took the time to be away from home on Thanksgiving to talk and visit with me would mean something. Most people in her position aren't over there taking time out of their personal life to visit with troops are they?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but who cares! I sure as hell wouldn't want to see that bitch! [darn] her!

8. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Hillary did it for the publicity (the F@#king B@#@H)

Bush did it because he genuinely cares about the US troops!

Bush rocks! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

think Bush will get any military votes in 2k4? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

10. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

When I was in Kosovo in 2001 Bush came and saw us. He promised he will have thanksgiving dinner with us at FT Campbell. He keep his promise and had Thanksgiving dinner with the 101st division. I will be voting for him in 2004, we have had the highest pay raise since he has been in office. His goal is to raise the military pay out of the poverty income.

11. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I read this post and then saw the report later on the tv news, I got chills /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It was great for me to see him there, I can imagine how the troops are feeling /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

12. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    His goal is to raise the military pay out of the poverty income.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty sad when you can be active duty miltary with a family and still qualify for food stamps [​IMG]

13. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I am a E-5 with 12 years in, I have a wife and a 16 month old son. I qualify for them but will not get them. I have friends that are E-7's that qualify for them also. But one of Bush's goals is to have it so Military dont need them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew this would be brought up and over on PBB I had a few words since I posted the article over there, but I would volunteer to burn the crappers than being stuck with that C-word.

Just flying Air Force One into Baghdad takes some big balls right now, while Hillary only did it for publicity and it gives her a good excuse to stay away from Bill. Phuque Hillary /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

15. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just flying Air Force One into Baghdad takes some big balls right now, while Hillary only did it for publicity and it gives her a good excuse to stay away from Bill. Phuque Hillary

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude you took the words right outa my mouth!

I had no respect for Clinton when he was C@C. I hated it when he came on base, not one guy in my unit wanted to be there we all hated him for what he did to the Military. Jerk off wouldn't even return salutes! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I had no respect for Clinton when he was C@C. I hated it when he came on base, not one guy in my unit wanted to be there we all hated him for what he did to the Military. Jerk off wouldn't even return salutes! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, what a cocksucker. To get the President to return your salute would have to be quite an hour, but to get him to ignore you would show a total lack of appreciation for the respect that you payed to him! What a scumbag!

17. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    His goal is to raise the military pay out of the poverty income

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as I hated our last president, Clinton is actually the one that started the bigger raises to get the military out of poverty. Clinton laid out a 5 year plan to bring the pay up to a decent level. It was signed into law before Bush was even elected.

But.... The brownie points for Bush come in with the fact he made the raises even larger than what was already required by the previous law. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Clinton is actually the one that started the bigger raises to get the military out of poverty.

[/ QUOTE ]

BULLSH*T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

That ungrateful jerkwad actually was not going to approve raises the first year he was president and Congress had to put him in his place........................ /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

19. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I thought it was a total tribute to the Troops. I personaly think if he could have meet all the Troops He would have. He just seems that way.
    On the other hand We now have to hear all the BS from those no good Liberal losers who will say it was a political ploy and this and that. At least they can say that He lied cause He sure as hell wasn't in Crawford TX when He said He was gonna be. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

20. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hillary did it for the publicity (the F@#king">F@#king</a> <a href="mailto:B@#@H)

Bush did it because he genuinely cares about the US troops!

Bush rocks! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Im sure bush only did it for the troops, yea right. I think hes trying to get as many brownie points as possible for relection.