Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bush didn't lie or pressure CIA on WMD's

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jul 14, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Bush didn\'t lie or pressure CIA on WMD\'s

...But don't hold your breath waiting for the dems/libs to apologize for the name calling and slander.

From the wall street journal:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110005342

Let me know if you guys want the whole text put up, it's a little long, but good to be informed of.

I lost some faith in Bush 2 days ago and started to doubt what I thought about him, but this reaffirms what I thought originally. I'm voting for Bush in November.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Re: Bush didn\'t lie or pressure CIA on WMD\'s

I have always had FAITH!!!![​IMG]

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the good article Ratch. As Sean Hannity says, let not your heart be troubled......fortunately there's just enough factual reporting going on that we can get the truth if we search for it, unfortunately even when the facts are known publicly the Dems continue the lying and the mass media ignores it. Keep the faith man!

Bush 04 /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

One of the saddest things I"m coming to realize is how much faith the average citizens put sin their elected officials, while at the same time distrusting them.

People believe it if this senator Rockefeller, a man in position of authority and "in the know", says Bush is a liar and taunts about the WMD's, but when he writes and concurs with a study that finds Bush acted on the best knowledge he had, people shy away from it, it gets no press.

Whether I get into politics or not is debatable, but I'm definately taking a more active approach to it.

SOmething fairly disheartening about the present state of "We the People":

Senator Schumer's staff (my senator) refused to take my name or my wife's name in recent calls to his office on particular issues.
    This man is our elected official. He sits in his position to represent me and my communities interests to my nation's lawmakers. Not taking our name is almost equal to not accepting a constituents position on an issue, since there's no surety it's a consituent, and therefore disregard-able.
    So does my elected officials' responsibility end with the issues he campaigns for, and not issues that come up during his term?
    I didn't vote for him, but that does NOT mean I have no say in current issues of interest to consitutents.

That being said, I urge all of you to call my senators, Chuck Schumer and Hillary Clinton, today and tell them your position on any national issue troubling you. PM me for the numbers.

Heck, I'm almost ready to start a campaign to get them out of office. I'll happily vote them out, but I'm almost ready to create a nonprofit charter to get them out.
    But then there're those moments of despair, when I remember, people don't look for fact as much as flair.

So anyway... Thanks Jeff.

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Excellent article!

I really look forward to these posts from you.
    It's nice to see an educated individual with so much insite into our political world.

Keep em coming!

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Thanks Skratch! I'm suddenly keenly interested in our government system again, like when I was a kid and we were taught in public school that we were "the future of our nation" to them.
    I get a little self conscious of being a single-tone bell, so good to hear you get something from these posts!

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The war in Iraq was about many things (REVENGE being one of those at the top), but America has to appear civilized to the rest of the world, so ther is no way Bush could just come out and say "we want revenge", thus Bush came up with the WMD sales pitch. The naked truth is, Americans (me included) wanted some payback for 9/11. Attacking Afghanistan was little consolation because it was already so tore up from previous wars, and Iraq was the perfect target. There where several reason Iraq was a perfect target for America's revenge (1) Saddam Hussein was the "red headed stepchild" of the Middle East, (2) President Bush's family had some unfinished business with Hussein, (3), Iraq's Military would be a complete push over (4), and maybe America could get some oil out of it.

The whole story on WMD's was just a way for Bush to sell the war to people without having to be honest, and just come out and say "We want revenge for 9/11" because there are so many liberal wimps in America that would rather die than fight (plus there are a lot of recent immigrants living in America now that hate America and every thing it stands for, and they would never fight to defend America). Now people are caught up in arguing over Bushes snow job on WMD's. STOP WASTING YOUR TIME.

8. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Wow, that is extremely unfortunate that your Senators will not take you or your wifes names when calling about issues that are important to you. Thankfully our Senators here in AZ (Kyl and McCain) do although McCain is very hard to get ahold of right now as he's getting buried in calls regarding the Fed Marriage Amendment and since he's against it his staff is not making themselves very available. They both do keep me informed by mail as to their stands on issues that interest me, again Kyl more than McCain but then again Kyl is twice the Republican that McCain is! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I wish you would run for office already /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

WMDs and the equipment for making WMDs have been found in Iraq. Additionally, we have rock-solid intelligence that Saddam was trying to buy long-range (ie longer than his 1991 treaty allowed) missiles from North Korea (who smartly stiffed him btw, lol!). The left has smoothly transitioned from "NO WMDs!" to "NO STOCKPILES!"... if a stockpile is ever found, they will shift again to something else. Same predictable BS the left wing always does. I'm really into 20th century history and so I know all about the evil of ruthless dictators like Saddam... IMO, we don't need any excuses to kick their a$$es.

Just watch, sane iraqis are running that country now... and assuming islamists dont take the place over (prolly try if kerry won) then in 5-10 years Iraq is going to be a good place for iraqis to live... prolly on-par with Turkey. Still muslim, but not freakin rabid about it at the political level and not a supporter of internation terrorism.

Saddam being booted out of power is a great thing, I only wish it could have happened sooner.

j

10. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Thanks for finding this and posting up. I salute you.

I remember seeing videotape of the truck convoys heading to syria from iraq, while we wasted time looking for the UN's approval to go after iraq. What could they possibly be hiding in syria? hmm.

If you believe Bush used the threat of WMD's to "sell the war", remember that all the damn democrats used the same rationale to urge action against iraq, including John Kerry. they ALL voted to authorize the use of force, and cried about what a threat iraq was.

I love how the left collectively gets amnesia when they think they can turn public opinion against Bush. Nothing the left can come up with is grounded in the truth, which is why they'll be relegated to the dustbin of history.

Tom /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. 1-ton

The Democrats knew that Bush was using WMD's as an excuse to sell the war, but after going along with it they are trying to use it against him now. It is all just typical politics.

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Revenge for what?? I'm not saying WMD's was Bush's end-all invasion reason, but did Saddam do something to the U.S. aside from lie and continually thumb his nose at us? Something to Bush Sr?? I thought Bush Sr decided not to whoop his arse, not that he was defeated or something.

I don't think Iraq was about revenge for 9/11. IMO, personally, I thought revenge was futile because the perps were already dead. Justice against al-quada is fine, but I don't think that's what Iraq was.
    Just my opinion, though, I haven't really heard that idea yet.

13. 1-ton

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think Iraq was about revenge for 9/11. IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

If 9/11 had not happened, then do you think America would have ever attacked Iraq? I think not. I think going after Iraq was a direct result of 9/11 . America had to give the world a show of force, or terrorist would think they could attack America with impunity, and Iraq just happen to fit the bill perfectly for reasons I have already outlined.

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If 9/11 had not happened, then do you think America would have ever attacked Iraq? I think not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you on that, but it doesn't qualify the "revenge" motive that was bothering me. 9/11 was just the enabler, forced everyone to realize bad people really will try to hurt us.
    If anything, we should have invaded and deposed Saddam 5 years ago, Clinton should have made it a parting gift to America, although that would've sucked for Bush, to take office mid-war.

BTW (not directed to you, 1-ton), the Senate Intelligence Oversight committee, which oversees the CIA, has been railing about how broken the CIA is. I'm assuming they've either forgotten thier job, that they are in charge of the CIA, or they're hoping noone makes the connection and they can act like it's another fault of Bush. It's worth noting that the CIA also thought Saddam would be deposed by 1993. Maybe that's what clinton was waiting for.

One of the biggest differences between Clinton and Bush apparent to me:
    Clinton would bomb a couple more Iraqi factories and call it a day, leaving Saddam to violate whatever more UN Resolutions he wants. Bush, instead of bombing and shirking, finally decides to cap off the problem and eliminate the true threat, whether he be a threat today or in 5 years.

15. 1-ton

I agree that the intelligent agencies have a problem with being too competitive with each other, and purposely withholding intelligence from each other, in order to garner all the glory, but I think the WMD was a premeditated sales pitch by Bush to go to war, and now Bush is making the CIA the "sacrificial lamb" for going along with him. I personally do not care if Bush had to come up with a lame excuse for going after Iraq, if he would have told the ugly truth, I would have still supported him anyway.

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Same here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

You sound like a liberal poster child /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif When faced with facts you call names and yell bush did this bush did that without any facts to back it up. Have you even been listening to what the report said? All countries including USA, England, FRANCE and GERMANY all thought Saddam still had massive stockpiles of WMD's. And it was our CIA independantly reporting this info, not the president. He relies on the info given to him by the intelegence agency's not the other way around.

18. 1-ton

[ QUOTE ]
    You sound like a liberal poster child

[/ QUOTE ]

And I think you are only reading the first sentence of my posts.

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the left has used the media to make it the focus, but i remember well the pre-war speak from the whitehouse and WMDs were not the ONLY reason we "went in". How many times did bush mention the 12 years / 17 UN resolutions? How many times did he mention the mass graves, torture chambers and all that other genocidal/heinous crap? Lots from what I remember... but if you ask CNN, they'll say that the ONLY reason bush ever gave us was WMDs. Thats far from true. Also, the left is trying to spin it the other way, but Saddam and his baathists were absolutely and unquestionably working with international terrorist organizations who sought to kill americans and jews where ever possible. Terrorists convicted of killing americans overseas were welcome house guests in Saddams Baghdad. A high-ranking member of Al Queda helped train the Fedayeen Saddam as a fanatical para-military force which combined brutal terrorism and lessons learned fighting the soviets in afghanistan. None of this is speculation, its the truth and proven beyond any doubt. Still, the left will say the same lies over and over and over again... just as Joseph Goebbels prescribed... which will sway the opinions of the weak-minded. One can only hope that intelligent/sane people turn out in november.

j

20. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i usually try to stay out of the political threads, but just an observation. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

although there was quite the case for the U.S to go in on U.N violations and intelligence from multiple countries on WMD's, it may very well have been an excuse. BUT i think revenge wasn't the case. its been an attempt to be offensive against terrorism. a move i applaud.

Afghanistan seemed to go pretty well. tho i really think Pakistanie politics has kept us from gettin Bin Laden (we really need to sit on Musharif over this one). i must admit it was somewhat of a suprise to me when it was announced about our intentions in Iraq.. not that i had a prob with it, just a little miffed at the expansion of our efforts. now i see that Iraq was to become the confrontation point for the war on terror. something Pakistan probably wouldn't be.. and once again, i applaud taking the fight to them. the best defense is a good offensive.. not some pacifist, sit around and appease the psychos till they do it again...

i'd be willing to bet that military plans for taking Iraq have been worked on since the first Gulf War.. and i don't have a prob with that. i hear libs argue how "oh god, the administration had been thinking about this before 9/11" like its some sort of damn conspiracy. hell, i'd hope it was an issue that was being discussed..

i would call it an offensive response to an act of war, not revenge... pretty sure Al Queda's pretty busy these days taking on Apaches, 50 cals and our kickass soldiers... /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif