Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bush v. K5.....CARNAGE!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90K5, May 25, 2003.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Well, the parents decided they didnt want the huge fotinea bushes in the back yard anymore...they are the ones people buy instead of fences around here. these things are huge, probably 15-25 ft tall. Decided to yank them out with the K5, i pulled the exact same bushes out of the neighbors yard, but i think ours were there longer, something like 13 years...anyway the bolt ripped through the front of the frame for the tow hook, and cut a huge gash in the bumper about halfway up...pics soon to come

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif good thing it didn't hit anyone.

3. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

Probably didnt budge the bush did it.

Last week my neighbor the truck driver was trying to pull out a large bush growing in a ditch with his semi tractor. He was ROCKING that thing, broke 2 chains and the bush is still there /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

yeah, made sure everyone was out of the way...tow hook still holding on by one bolt, had a towel over the rope...my borthers friend brought over a beast of a tow rope but it had goofy loops in it, so i had to use the front hooks....would have never happened using the reciever...had it in 4lo, and after a few steady pulls and nothing, decided to give it a running start and yank it...bad idea.

5. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

"Bush v. K5.....CARNAGE!!!"

i was thinkin' maybe you ran over ole georgy /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I had that exact same thing happen to me on the blue K10 you see down by my sig line. I was attempting to pull another buddy in an F250 out of sand and got a good yank and then "BANG!" Got out to inspect it and found the hook sticking forward out the bumper, exactly like how yours looked. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Took that as a loss on the value of that bumper. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I've found out the front tow hooks ARE NOT meant for recovery or pulling stuff such as heavy vehicles or even stummps. Those bolts are just too weak for that job even though they are grade 8's.

I never pulled anything heavy from the front again. Use the rear bumper or hitch if you have one, as pulling in the forward motion has more power and torque to generate than if pulling backwards. You have better and lower ranges to use with the tranny and t-case if you go forward. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

yeah, i was pulling from the reciever originally, as the pic shows, but my crappy tow strap kept breaking, and i kept tying it back, and it would break in a different place, so it was getting real short. my brothers friend had a huge tow rope with loops and steel inserts in them, and there was no way to hook it to the reciever, so i just used the front...the weakness wasnt even the bolts, it was the frame. BTW...that tow rope is still around the bush and the friend is gone...hmmmmm...i tihnk i scored a tow rope!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Crap, that sucks! I have a Pro Comp hook up front that bent straight pulling fence posts sunk 2 feet deep with about 2 bags of concrete on them. Got about 6 of them out before it bent.
    I was in Lubbock last night on my way back from CO. That storm looked like it was going to be a good one, then it just died. *shrug* Same thing happens here...

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

ouch that sucks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

anytime you use those towhooks espically when your really yanking try to use both of them and have the strap come from the middle of the truck

12. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Quality carnage. I'd like to say I haven't done that, but I can't... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

13. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

i go to school in lubbock, back home for the summer....guess i should chabge that

14. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

did you even try to dig around the bush and chop the roots in half and use the chain saw to cut up the bush and what not just saw everything up on the bush. Then pull it outta the ground I do that with my Kawasaki 300 4wheeler and my truck and i have even used the 95 honda to pull up stuff..lol its all fun Those roots mean the diffence between you winning and them still being there after you give up or break something. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

15. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

you suck I"m still here, and you didn't even message me?

16. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

nope, just wrapped the rope around it and went at it....worked before, figured it would again