Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bushing Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JROSS, Nov 10, 2003.

1. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

Are the greasable bushing overkill for a stock DD blazer. I was thinking about going with poly bushings and putting the money saved over the greasable one towards shocks. What are your opinions.

Thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If this is a stock DD, then go with rubber bushings. No reason to deal with poly on a daily driver. The longevity of poly in suspension bushings is absolutely pointless when compared to the 20+ year lifespan of stock rubber bushings.

That is my *opinion*, and others will disagree.

3. I would go with the poly greasable bushings, you're already in there, why not put the best parts in. If you have soft springs and good shocks you won't notice them over the rubber ones. Plus they won't deteriorate when leaking oil gets sprayed on them (and I doubt that rubber bushings last 20 yrs /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif). I would use rubber for the body mounts though. If you don't have enough money for the greasable then wait on the shocks and save the $$ for them.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Who sells rubber bushings?

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Who sells rubber bushings?

[/ QUOTE ]

For what specifically? Springs? Body mounts? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. dyeager535

You can buy them from GM, (and no, they aren't insanely expensive if you buy them online) and IIRC, it was moogs online catalog where I found rubber replacement leaf spring/shackle bushings.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Unfortunately they won't fit my superlift springs though. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif So what is the benifit of the poly if they don't last as long?

9. dyeager535

It's not that they don't last long, the thing is that they aren't necessary on a daily driver. (I question if they are necessary at all, since they inhibit suspension movement)

My comparison was that GM bushings last 20 years typically (and thats without lubing them, unlike poly), how long do you NEED them to last?

10. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

I don't think length of use is as much as of a concern as ride quality. It's already a 20 year old truck, I will probably only keep it as a DD for another 5 years or so.
    I'm looking for better ride quality, should I invest more of my $ into shocks?

11. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I have never heard of choosing rubber vs poly in regards to ride quality. I think shocks would be a better thing to look at if that is your main concern. Are your current rubber bushings trashed, or are you thinking of replacing them in hopes of a better ride?

12. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

The front springs are trashed, got them off a doner front end (I'm removing the PO lift). I figure while I have the rear end out I might as well replace the bushings due to them being over 20yo. I think maybe I'll take another look at the rears to see if its really needed and look into a good set of shocks.

13. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

And if it was me, I'd replace them with whatever is cheaper. I think my rubber bushings are in the 20+ year old club, but they seem to still be working and I am sticking to the if it ain't broke don't fix it plan /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    I have never heard of choosing rubber vs poly in regards to ride quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poly doesn't deflect as easily as rubber, so it will affect ride quality. In trucks like ours, will it be noticeable? Probably not.

However, IMO, having to grease the stupid poly ones, (or putting up with more squeaks) especially in a DD, isn't a benefit, thats for sure.

15. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You can buy them from GM, (and no, they aren't insanely expensive if you buy them online) and IIRC, it was moogs online catalog where I found rubber replacement leaf spring/shackle bushings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a link, I did moog searches and came up empty. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

16. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

What is the advantage to poly bushings?

Trey

17. If lubed frequently, greasable ones don't wear out, give better flex (since rubber ones are joined to the spring eye), and they're impervious to oil (rubber deteriorates when exposed to oil). They'll also give better road handling since they give that much less slop in the suspension.

18. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

Thanks

19. dyeager535

Hmm. Can't find anything at Moog either. Odd, because that catalog layout is what I remember when I found them before.

Oh well. Anyways, if you go to napaonline.com and pick, say, a 1986 K5 4wd, then browse catalog, steering and suspension, you'll start to see the bushings.

20. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i know the napa here in town had replacement rubber bushings for my stock rear springs on their shelf.

chevy duty (www.chevyduty.com) also has them

front spring

front 74-082
    rear (shackle kit) 74-036

rear spring

74-084 or 74-085 depending on spring eye dia.