Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bushing Removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nvrenuf, Dec 8, 2004.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

What's the best way to remove the upper/rear shackle bushing for the front spring? I have seen them melted out with a torch but I don't have one. Is the bushing pressed in or what?

BTW - I'm working with a bare frame.

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Mine was two pieces the just pulled out. Only had to use a pair of pliers

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The ones I've changed have been real easy to change... (other than header removal) but they've been driven recently when replaced. The easiest thing to do is to beat out the sleeve with a hammer and then pull the rubber out with a pair of channel-locks.

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Oh ok, I don't know why but I was thinking it was bonded in there.

As always, you guys are great help! THANKS!!

5. la_blazer82

la_blazer82 1/2 ton status

Just did the busings to all four springs. You can either use a pair of big pliers, or vise grips that look like they fit around a soda can ( I bought a pair at HomeDepot). The bushings are two piece, with an inner sleeve. This didn't work on all bushings. If if doesn't, place the spring pack in a table vise, take a drill with 1/4" bit and start drilling through the bushing. This may take a while, but it works. Once you get most of the bushing drilled out, take a metal shank to the lip of the bushing sleeve and bang out with a BFH.

The plier/vise grips work if using on poly bushings. The drill method works on OEM rubber bushings. Note, if OEM rubber bushing, there is also an outer metal sleeve that either needs to be cut with a Saw-zall or pryed out with a chisel. I used a small diameter chisel (1" in width), aslo bought at HomeDepot, and hammered out. This will take some time, as you need to split the outer sleeve. Pretty straight forward. This was my first time doing this and although took some time to do all the spring ends, new bushings were definately needed!

After bushings are out, use a wire brush to clean out the spring eyes. Use a bunch of grease and new bushings should slide in. You may need the table vise the press bushings in completely

6. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

I used a air chisel, came right out.

7. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

take a 6" 3/8's inch extension and place it inside the bushing, tap it though the entire way and the inner sleeve will come out, then you can remove the two peice bushing working your way around the ouside diameter with a screwdriver