Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bushing size question.

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Ryan Melton, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Ryan Melton

Ryan Melton Registered Member

Stephen,

I'm looking at getting some 52" rear Tuff Country springs with 2" of lift and need to know what size bushing they take.

Also do you know how the spring rates compare to the factory 52" rears?

I've already got the 1.5 inch greaseables for the factory 52's, but needed to know if this is the same eye diameter as the Tuff Coutry's.

Thanks,

Ryan

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Same-Same, TCI uses 1.5 for the 52" rears.
    I can tell you the rate they have in the catalog, it's 405#, but they're a 5 leaf plus overload, so I'm not sure about that number, it seems high. I'm becoming more skeptical of advertised spring rates.
    I think the factory 4+1 GM rears are supposed to be about 270#/in, so it might be possible that the 5+1 is 400# or so. It's pretty hard for me to figure it on paper because of the overload leaf.
    This may be more info than you need but there it is.
    You'll probably need lighter springs when you ditch the body........:-)

3. Ryan Melton

Ryan Melton Registered Member

What I'm trying to do is figure out what springs I want to run in the front. I have some 52" factory rears in the front with your zero rate and like the overall height now. I still have to add a winch and a front bumper so that would reduce ride height a little. I've got a small block and the veh is pretty light for a truck.

Do you think the 405# TC 2" lift springs would be too stiff for a front? I'm after as much articulation as possible in an off the shelf spring.

And I won't tube it out either. I'll get a Chevy for that. The Dodge trucks are a PITA to get parts for.

Ryan

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

They may be a bit stiff in the front, but the hard part is, we won't know till you try. Most K5 rear springs are lighter than that, I don't know for sure how much but they are for sure a lighter rate.
    One thing that would help for using the TCI's in the front is taking the overload off. That will soften them up and make the rate more linear rather than the spring getting stiffer as you compress it down to the overload.
    That might be the difference.
    I know you started the Dodge, use the powertrain in a buggy and build a camping truck/light duty 'wheeler/tow rig. That way you cover all the bases with a minimum # of vehicles...