Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bushwacker Cut-out flares

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blackmagic, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Blackmagic

Blackmagic Registered Member

I am planning on installing these to cover fender trimming I probably need to do to make my summer tires fit. I was wondering if anybody has a diagram of how bushwacker wants you to cut the fender. I believe there is a template or diagram that comes with the new flares. I just have not had the money to buy them yet, so I don't have the instructions. May 1st is the deadline to take off the studded tires. So I need to do this soon.

I've got a 74 Blazer w/ no aftermarket lift and I'm going to fit 35" Thornbirds.

Thanks for you help in advance.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Dominic

2. CammoK5

CammoK5 Registered Member

Maybe you could call or email Bushwacker and ask them to send you a copy of the directions? I've done that before with other companies and they were all happy to help.

3. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

With no lift you are going to have to cut out a lot more than the cutout flairs will cover to fit 35's.
    At least that is what i think maby if you don't flex at all you might be ok but i don't think so.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lots of rocks in alaska... sure u want those rock-targets on ur rig?

j

5. Blackmagic

My truck is my daily driver. I have to cut to fit bigger tires and the wider tire will throw a lot of mud and rocks. When I had my 32x11.5's on there I would get all kinds of mud thrown on the top of my hood. Just imagine what its going to do when the 35x14.5s are on there. Plus the tread on the Thornbirds is so aggressive. My friend got pulled over and given a warning about not having mud flaps on his f-350 with 35s. Something about having the bumber too tall. His truck was stock other that the 35s, the cops just needed a reason to pull us over to check if we were drinking. It's all about harassment with them. I dunno, I do like the way the cut-outs look. I have seen enough of them in person and a lot in magazines that it's a look that I am happy with and think they look bad ass. Plus I'm not going to be crawling over boulders in it anytime soon.

6. jekbrown

wait... thornbirds are aggressive? lol!!

j

7. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

wait... thornbirds are aggressive? lol!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    My thoughts exactaly, thornbirds are just street tires with side lugs.
    You should go with a set of swampers.

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree with the above about the thornturds... There just an all around crappy tire.

Anyway, I have the cut-outs on my truck and they are weak... My tire hit them so they cracked, a rock hit them so they cracked, and piece of dust hit them and they cracked... But they still kind of look good from far away /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[​IMG]

Anyway, if it's just a street truck then they will be fine. If it sees any off road use they probably won't...

9. jekbrown

what really surprises me is how many peeps put these on rigs they use offroad a lot. they sure as hell aint cheap and they seem so easy to damage. There aint a part of my rig that if it got smacked by a rock I'd really be worried about it. Most annoying thing would be a busted tail light i guess.... but I'm workin on some tail light protection... so all is good. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

10. willyswanter

Well my thing was that the 88-98 style bodies aren't like the older ones. The inner wheel well is right at the factory opening so you can trim about 1" all the way around and thats it... So I got these to cover up the gaping holes left after cutting 2" all the way around.

There actually pretty forgiving but they always crack and break around the screw holes. I cut a bunch of the inner side out of mine so they bend alot better before cracking.

11. Blackmagic

Here are some other posts that I read about them that have techniques that I would employ in my addition of these flares.

[ QUOTE ]
    I just saw a set of bushwacker flairs today getting LineX sprayed on them. The owner of the shop sprayed the bedliner lineX material on the outside of the flair and on the inside of the flair. After it was all done he was hitting them with a hammer and they did not break or crack. I was impressed. If I get the cut outs I will be having them sprayed.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is expensive, but I plan to have the bottom third all the way around my truck sprayed with something like that ie: rhinolining, herculiner, line-x...

This one also this sounded like an interesting idea. Why not. I'm not worried about weight of the foam. I don't know if that spray foam is closed cell and would not retain water to rust the fenders underneath. Worth a try I guess.

[ QUOTE ]
    We used expanding foam in the ends of the ladder rungs to keep wind from whistling when they where straped to the ladder rack on the truck. One guy says yeah dont fill the rung completely up it makes the ladder about 10 lbs heaver! The rungs on the fiberglass ladder where aluminum. We beat on it with a sldge and it barely dented.
    While figuring out how to water proof my new weld in inner outer rockers I thought of the expanding foam. SO, I go buy two cams of the triple expanding foam and start spraying. This foam starts coming out of all the little spaces. Needless to say the rockers are SOLID. I would guess you might be able to do the same with the hollow flares?

[/ QUOTE ]

these were both posts here at CK5. Just wanted to show other ideas people had.

Later,

12. willyswanter

The flares are only 3 sided, if you sprayed the foam in it woudld just fall out the other side...

I can hit my flares with a hammer and not crack them. It's when they start to bend is when they crack. There so stiff that they don't take bending very well.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Did you buy the thornbirds yet? First off they won't throw much mud. The tread is not agressive it will just clog and spin not throwing much of anything. Also they are a street tire that isn't a great street tire. They are bias ply with belts not radials. In the end they will never ride or handle like a radial. I recommend 35" MT/Rs or if you have to go with 14.50 wides(can't blame you) TSL Radials.

14. Geno

Geno Registered Member

I have 35inch Thornburgs, NOT WORTH YOUR MONEY, would not buy another set! Can't wait till they wear out! That is a tire you truley have to DRIVE down the road! Thats my opinion though.

15. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am planning on installing these to cover fender trimming I probably need to do to make my summer tires fit.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I just did mine last month. http://www.polariswebdesign.com/bushwacker.htm

I got a deal on mine - $150 for a brand new set of 4, shipping included. It was through a raffle. My first thought when I got them was, how can simple plastic be worth so much? I mean, if I had paid full price I would have been sorely disappointed. I can tell you after next weekend if they hold up on tight trails full of trees. The install was basically no cutting from the top of the wheel opening, and cutting flush with the inner fender front & rear. They do come with instructions. It was 1" in some places, 2" in others. Not much. I think a neatly trimmed fender done right would look just as well. Check the UAV buildup under Project Vehicles for more info.