Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bushwacker cut-outs, yay or nay??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Feb 4, 2003.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

I'm ready to graduate from 35's to 38's when I upgrade to my 14FF and 60. I am going to do a little fender hogging, /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif but I need to cover the knobbies because of WV's lift laws /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. I figured with cut outs I could get clearance and coverage in one neat package. How much tire clearance do they offer, in real life, not a spec sheet? Do they rip off easy /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif? Thanks y'all.
    Sincerely,
    Chris /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have run them for about 18 months or so. Only time I had a problem with them was when I scraped up the side of a trash can. That split the flare. I would assume a tree would have the same impact.

But, for styling and hiding rough fender trimming, I think they work great. With them, you can trim back to the inner fender in the back of the front fender wells, but you can't go back any further than that.

Check out my WebShots page for some pics of my BW cut-out installation and trimming.

3. steelsoldiers

Thanks, I can't access webshots from work, the firewall /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif won't let me. How many inches of tire clearance did you gain in total? I'm running 35"s now and I want to be able to run 37s or 38s? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I honestly don't recall for sure. I basically removed all the "lip" from the back of the front fender until it was fluch with the inner fender. Guess that is about 2 inches or so. My tires were rubbing and bending that lip up at full stuff and while turning. It gave me the clearance I need for my 35s on 10" wide rims.

5. steelsoldiers

Cool, thanks Brian. I guess should be able to run 37s OK. But, I'll get about 1/2" from the bigger tubes of the 14FF and Dana 60 so maybe I can squeak 38s. I may just go to a 4" lift to be certain. He, hee. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

They are fine for places like mud and trails where things will not hit them. They will bust easily if they are smacked. I have a set which I never put on for the front. I was going too until I thought about running things like Tank Trap someday at Hollister and realized these would not make it through...