Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bushwacker fender cutouts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ken, Oct 11, 2000.

1. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

What are everyones impressions about the Bushwacker fender flares, the kind where you cut out a portion of your fender, allowing more tire clearance? My Swampers are literally eating the front and rear lips of my fenders when articulating slightly! Also, I was quoted $320 = $120 install from a local 4x4 shop. Where's the best place to buy them? And how much? Thanks.

ken

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I've never been fond of the Bushwacker cut-outs. After seeing rocks flying through them and making large holes, it doesn't seem worth it. Just get the Sawzall out and start hacking. I took the lower-rear portion of the fenderwell out and cut the fender since my Swampers were getting torn up in the front. It doesn't look bad and with some "L" shape trim, it would amost look factory.

[​IMG]

More pics here:
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy/rodent/fenders

Now repeat after me, the sawzall is my friend...

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Hey Shawn, how bout you fly out here to sunny So Cal and take the sawzall to my truck!! I don't think I have the stomach for it!!! I like how yours came out, think I'll ponder on it for a while, maybe invest in a sawzall and get to hacking!! Why not? The dang tires have already tweaked the fenders pretty severly!! How much of a portion of the inner fender did you remove? Did you cut it? I can see the line you took on the outer fender, but can't imagine whats what with the inner. Thanks, Shawn.

ken

4. Shawn

No problem Ken. Give me your Visa account and I'll be there tomorrow! Ok, here's what I did:

I previously cut my fenders all the way back to the fender well like in Steves article (on this site). Well, the tires still hit and got chewed up so... I cut about a foot off the lower-rear portion of the fender well and also cut out some of the inner fender. By cutting some of the fender well off it eliminated any tire rub. This allowed me to make a gradual cut on the outer fender to allow plenty of tire room. I think, 38's might even fit now! Lots of tape on the painted part helps against scratching (I used duct tape). Draw a line before you cut. I also chopped the front part of the front fender. Since you have more lift than I do, you might want to look at Steves article and try that first. Take a look at some of those other pictures. It's hard to see with the mud and I've been meaning to get better pics of that.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

5. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

Wow. As always Shawn, your stuff looks great.

It looks like you have some kind of edging or trim around the fenders. What is it?

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

6. Shawn

Thanks. No trim anywhere except the very front of the fender where I put door edge molding. This also works good for the rear quarter where it's cut.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods