Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Busted another POS Warn hub today

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Gettin kinda sick of this... what hubs does everyone run, Warn regulars? Warn Premiums? Pro Comp? Milemarker?
    Gotta get sumthin that will not leave me stranded in 2wd every month.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Iv got Warn premiums.Iv never broken one.Iv still got the set that came on my truck 8 years ago when I got it.I picket up a spare set at the wrecking yard just in case I do break one.Are you breaking premiums?

Some people shouldnt drive anything bigger than their head.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

3. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I had a set of warn premiums on my 3/4 ton BB blazer for 12 years. Never broke them. Broke Ujoints and stub shafts but no hubs. What are you running and when do they break??

4. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I'm running SuperWinch manuals. I've had great luck with them on previous trucks ('77 K5 &amp; '86 Bronco) with zero failures. They're working great on my '91 Burb so far...

The learning curve is a toll road...ride with someone who has already paid!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/abshort>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Superwinches are in my opinion the best. I have had the warn premiums and didnt like them. I like the good strong feel of the superwinches to.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

6. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

running warn Pre. almost 5 yrs w/ 2 on a posi

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye!

7. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I am running Warn regulars... they pretty much break every trip, it doesnt seem like I do anything too awful bad with them. What happens is the inner plastic retainer pops out of the aluminum housing and lets it pop back out of lock. The Premiums have the same design I think. I wrote to Warn about it, and they dont think its a problem, if no one else has the same trouble they must be right. But who knows... I guess I may try to get a new set of Premiums and give them a shot.
    Thanks for the input.
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I got Superwinch ones and love them... I would recommend them to anyone! Don't the Warns have some plastic in them or something which causes the problems when they occur? I'm not sure if I dreamt this up or am smoking crack? Anyhow they'll get you a new set because they have a lifetime warrenty.....

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

9. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i broke 2 new sets of warn premiums.wentto the wrecking yard and got a used set of warn plastics and have had no trouble since?? not sure why? i have a 44 front end with 36 swamper sx,and a power lock and 4.10`s and a stick,and a heavy right foot!!

10. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

well
    just to be opposite
    Warn sucks
    get the milemarkers they looked good in the <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/mm-vs-warn/>REVIEW</a>
    looks like they kick Warns ass
    looking at the images the Warn premium hub looks to use the same potmetal internals as the regular hub in the D60 version anyway.
    is the dial the only difference?
    and it is just potmetal with a brass coloured coating.
    Warn does have excellent customer service as far as warranty, sent me a pair of hubs to replace their old design that failed and had chunks of potmetal floating with my wheel bearings but were no help getting the correct snaprings that are required to install the new version. full circle spiroloks 3.75" BTW
    havent had milemarkers so I cant tell you what they are like for service.
    I searched for superwinch hubs and they look nice
    is the main body the same metal as warn's or better like milemarker?

11. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

First off the Warn regulars are cheap plastic POS's. The Premiums setup up to metal components. Any brands regular plainjane-ers aren't ment to be wheeled. Next off I run the Mile Marker Stainless Steels (not the selecto's) They are made of Ductile Ironwhich is much stronger then any of the other models. The main reason I run them is because on many different makes and models of trucks I have installed Warns on, it seems like about 60% of the time the damn things don't fit for crap. There are numerous post on troubles getting warn's installed. So IMO I just don't order Warns anymore at the shop... way too much hassle, but there are a lot of guys happily running them.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I run Warn Premiums front and rear...works for me...

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I run all steel Spicer hubs...haven't broke one yet.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

14. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

the actual internal working parts of the premium hub on the link I posted are identical to the standard hubs I have,
    the only difference looks to be the dial itself.
    I was going to try the MM but warn sent me new assemblies so I just slid them back in.
    maybe I will try and sell them and switch.
    got 2 new style and 1 old style for a spare, should peak someones interest

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Are the hubs engaging all the way? I've seen where people have packed the hubs full of grease, even the area that the hub slides into when it locks. This will keep the splines on the hub from fully engaging, putting way too much stress on the part that does manage to engage. Also make sure there's no play in the wheel bearings. That will put loads on the hub at angles it wasn't designed to deal with. When everything is working right, there should almost zero side loading for the hub to deal with. From your description, it sounds like the hub is getting side loaded somehow. Broken hubs (of any brand) are pretty rare. If yours are breaking often, then I'd start looking to figure out what is causing them to break.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

16. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

superwinch on the chev, mile matker on the old dodge.

i like the duper whinch better, the seem to engage/disengage quicker

<font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>

17. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've got Mile Markers on mine. I think they are generally superior to Warn. The Warn Premiums have a potmetal dial as opposed to plastic in the "standards" but I don't think there is any other difference except cost. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am wrong. I've heard good about the Spicers (hell, anything Spicer for that matter) but I've never run them. If I replace the MMs, I'll probably go with MM or Spicer.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

18. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

As for 1/2 and internal 3/4 hubs:

Superwinch is crap. A Jeep buddy of mine runs them &amp; I borrowed his spare on 2 occasions. Neither lasted long, one lasted 1/2 a day.

Warn regulars are crap. Blew one in 1/2 a day.

The only ones I tried that worked good for me were selectros, the old ones where you turned the whole hub (black). I never broke one, the only complaints I had were that they were hard to disengage, especially with a front locker; due to the design, you are actually disengaging the splines instead of releasing tension on the spring like the Warns. Often you will have to roll the vehicle a few feet and try again, which is a real pain if you're by yourself. The other minor complaint is they were always dirty (not looks wise but they got your hands dirty), but this is easily solved with a rag.

As for 1 ton internal:

The only ones I've used are OE spicers. I'm happy with them, but will be going to Warn premiums soon since I'm putting in 35 spline stubs. I did blow a dial on the last trip, but it was from the broken end of the stub trying to go out the end (it broke at an angle, not clean off like other shafts I've seen; apparantly its common with 30 spline 60 stubs). The only real complaint I have with them is they suffer from the same bind up issue as the Selectros.

As for the comparison between the MMs and the Warns (linked above), I don't agree with some of the selection criteria. The hub dial is not a high stress stress part, so material selection isn't that critical. As I said above, a weak dial may actually help if it gives a broken stub somewhere to go instead of trashing the spindle (mine was trashed anyway). The only time a strong dial will help is if you manage to really smash it on a rock, which doesn't seem to be an issue with me. The double sealing is also nice in my book, lets face it, who really packs their wheel bearings every time they go through water? I sure don't. Every year or two at best. The weak point of the Warns that I've seen is the crappy stamped steel ring inside. This is why it is important not to force a Warn hub (ie with pliers). While it could be made better, this design does offer one feature that I like, instead of actually disengaging the splines, you are simply releasing tension on the spring, so you can always unlock the hub (although you may have to drive a couple feet before it actually disengages).

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

19. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

would like to see those or pics of them
    inside and out

20. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'll snap some pic's next time I have em apart...should be soon.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>