Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Busted Axle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bugspray, Feb 22, 2004.

1. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

Well I went out on the trail, and when I tried to climb up a steep bank to get out of a wash, I heard the sweet sound of a driveline snapping, and falling apart. I wish the cheap u-joint from Autozone snapped first. Ayways, I tried to use the front wheel drive to get it out of there, and only one wheel was turning, the driver side. Earlier, it didn't feel right when 4x4 was engaged, kind of like a clunk feeling in the shifter for the t-case. I have to hold the shifter to keep 4 wheel engaged, that's why I know. When I walked passed the blazer at one point trying to figure things out, the tires were turned, that's when I saw gear oil was leaking out the passenger side of the axle tube, and onto my tire etc. So far, I've pulled the differential cover, and everything looks normal and in place. I have Mile Marker locking hubs, pulled those-everything is fine. When I roll the wheel with the hub engaged, nothing moves in the differential like it does when I turn the driver side one. It's a D44. Did I snap the axle? When I drove it into the driveway to work on it, it made a bad clunking feeling on the shifter, like earlier but worse.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I may know someone local with another d44 for parts. Its a little older so you'd want to keep your disc brake setup. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

bugspray.....Ive got a complete D44 front in Chandler if you find your axle snapped. pm me if your interested /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I had a D44 that sheared off the splines at the inner end of the axel shaft. A used axel shaft and used spider gears and it was all fixed. The Oil leakage is a little harder. There are seals that are pressed into the axel housing from Inside the center section. To repair them, The WHOLE axel must be gutted.

If this is something you don't want to get into, See if you can just get a whole axel. It will be easier in the long run. And maybe cheaper.

but either way, You might have to pull that axel out and see whats going on in there.

5. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

Well I think I'm going to at least try pulling it apart to see what exactly happened. If it blew the seal(s) on that side, why would I need to take the whole thing apart? Does anyone know why it would have busted? Too big of tires/ too much gas for it?

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

The seal is pressed inside the axel housing, from the INSIDE. The carrier MUST be removed to gain access to the seal. Both axel shaft need to be removed to be able to even remove the carrier. When i blew the shaft in my D44, All i was doing was plowing. stock truck with 31's. And i am not crazy when I plow. Who knows why??

7. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

I was able to pull apart the axle last night. The shorter side sheared off right before the splines. We pulled apart the axle, both seals need replaced. I'm just going to fix this one. It wasn't as hard (so far) as I thought. It took about 1 1/2 hours. Now I'm debating wether or not to get a used shaft to replace it, or after market. Since it isn't that hard, I'm thinking no biggie to go used. On the other hand, if the $$ warrants new ones, what kind? I'm thinking maybe just WARN. I read a few posts about the superior's, and I talked to a guy that said the only ones he knew of broke also, that he strongly suggested a Currie. Does anyone know where to get one?