Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Busted Back Window

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88MudBeast, Apr 8, 2002.

1. 88MudBeast

88MudBeast Registered Member

this back window issue is one that i have been ignoring for quite some time. But in anticipation of summer, ive recently thought about having it fixed, then about the money it would cost, then about fixing it myself. So, when i press the button i get a clicking noise, but the window doesnt budge. It used to go down little by little when i pressed the button, but id have to press it over and over so the impact would push it up or down. anyhow, whats the problem? what do i need to do? can i fix it myself?
    thanks
    jake

2. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

I am assuming that you have tried "giving it a hand", literally. If not, push down on the top of the window while simultaneously pressing the switch. Same thing going up, except that you pull on the glass.

If you want a more permanent solution, good results can be had by replacing the cable that goes from the electric motor to the mechanism. I think the part is less than $20 and it's the first thing I'd try. And grease the crap out of the tracks while you're in there.

3. 88MudBeast

88MudBeast Registered Member

and where can i find one of those?
    Jake

4. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

Dealership...I just picked one up for $25 or so. I don't think the parts houses carry them, but not sure. The only place I found them is at the dealer. Good luck.

5. redrightthand

redrightthand Registered Member

I just went through fixing the rear window on mine. The best thing to do is unbolt the window remove the tracks (just the ones that the window rolls on) and clean both of them. Bend the arms up a bit (meaning when the door is open bend them up about about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch ) The window is probably getting stuck on the on the regulator as it goes up and down. the arms get weak and rest on the regulator. Bending them up should fix your problem. Use spray on Lithium grease to lube everything. You could replace the cable but probably don't need to. let me know if you need anymore help. If it is not moving at all then the switch in the door that stops the window from rolling up when the door is open may be bad.

6. redrightthand

redrightthand Registered Member

You can get all of this stuff from LMC truck for less $$ too. www.lmctruck.com. They have a tun of stuff for K5's

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

There could be several of problems, all that you can fix yourself. When new, the vertical channels have "fuzzy" material in them that let the glass slide through the channel. Over the years, dirt and water cause the material to deteriorate and it can cause the window to be very slow. As previously said, the regulator may become bent and have to be adjusted. Also there are nylon rollers that attach to the regulator and the window sash which have to roll smoothly for the window to operate properly.

Look at a LMC catalog or go to you dealer and get an exploded view of all the parts. Generally, a good dealership can get all the necessary parts cheaper than LMC.