Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Busted my top...anybody in the PNW good at fiber glass?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shane74, Apr 15, 2002.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

When out wheelin' this past Saturday. I busted my top pretty bad /forums/images/icons/mad.gif. It broke it the back at the factory seam by the top of the side windows. Yep, busted both sides loose. If I lift up on the back of the top, it will separate from the side windows. The only thing keeing it on right now are the bolts at the top of the winshield frame, and the fact that it didn't bust at the front of the side windows too. Anybody else had this happen to them with a full removavble top? I was flexing, but not very much. I hate to think what would have happened if I would of had my sway bar disconnected. I think it's repairable since it looks like the factory epoxy got old and finally broke loose. The bad part is, I busted all the rivets at the back too /forums/images/icons/frown.gif. I am planning on a soft top, but I'd like to have a hard top too. Any ideas?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have a top for my 74 that is like that...I haven't looked into how to fix it yet though, sorry./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Rene

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

There is an early top and a late top for the 73-75's. The earlys tops were prone to busting at the seam. The way to tell them appart is the early tops have butted seams like the 76 up. Just some filler to even it out. They went to an overlapping seam to get more surface are for bonding is my understanding. looking at the rear the roof section will over lap the sides by a good 3/8's of an inch. Even the over lapping style can come appart. Looking at my 75 you can see where the filler is cracking and coming out at the seams.
    Best way to fix busting top syndrom is one of two ways. A soft top or a full roll cage to stiffen up the body. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

BTW dissconnecting the sway would have made the truck frame flex LESS. The sway bolts to the frame and uses the frame as a fulcrum point so it transfers the twist to the frame as the sway maxes out.

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Mine broke at the rear towards the center seem. This is at the apex of the two rear window corners.

I put a brace between my two side walls. I did this more to keep my tailgate from opening on the trail than to save the top. This also turned into a "temporary" spare tire carrier until I build/buy an outside swing away spare carrier.

Let us know how the fix goes.

TO

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mine is the later style with the overlap...it's separated at the overlapped part. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Rene

7. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Mine was separating at the overlap too, I put some fiberglass around the overlap and it kinda fixed it for a while, now I have a soft top and no worries about that anymore.

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

My top is the overlapping kind. I talked to a guy at an auto paint store today. He told me that with the kind of top I have it is definitely repairable. So I guess I'll get my fingers wet in the fiberglass department.

A soft top and a full cage were already in the works. But it rains around here so much that a hard top is necessary especially if it's a DD, which mine is. I think I'm going to go with a top like you got from Specialty Top. It'll be a couple of weeks before I can order it though.