Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Busted Piston Skirt

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by TK5, Feb 1, 2003.

1. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I don't post much but I do spend several hours a day reading the post. Just about a week ago I noticed a louder than usual knock coming from 6.2. I couldn't hear inside the Blazer but outside it was pretty loud. So I went searching, I thought it was a rod knocking at first, but after pulling the oil pan, I noticed there were several pieces that looked like a part of the piston. Sure enough it was part of the the second piston back on the passenger side. I plan to pull the intake manifold and head next week and try to replace the piston. Hopefully this will cure my problem. I know I should pull the engine and rebuild, but this is my daily driver.

The good news though, is that I have managed to complete the build on the rear bumper. I still lack the tire carrier and basket to carry my fuel and water cans. The front bumper is almost finished except for pipe bending and etc. All the work is being done by my Agricultural Mechanics class at the high school were I teach. Free metal, free labor, a place to work in the warm and a big plus is that my students are getting experience in welding, geometry, and hands on experience.

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Thats kinda scary since mine did the same thing except in the first cylinder. Skirt was completely gone on my piston when I removed it. Of course, on mine this failure took the block out with it. I think these pistons lack the strength for a diesel engine. They do not look a whole lot beefier than a 350 or 454 piston. Maybe the aftermarket pistons are better in design, lets hope so.

3. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I know what you are saying. From the bottom side the cylinder has no damage. I can't say for sure till I get the piston out. I have talked with a lot of mechanics and they say if the cylinder is ok, I should be able to just rplace the piston and rings. But who knows next week it may be another, but I thinking positive right now.

4. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I got the top end apart and I have 3 head bolts left to remove plus the piston. The bell rang at school and I had to go to a faculty meeting. More work to come tomorrow.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I know I should pull the engine and rebuild, but this is my daily driver.

[/ QUOTE ]

so do ya get a ride home with the students? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    he he he...
    im just kidding ma...
    good luck with it.
    grant

6. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I have been known to ask the kids I have in class to give me a ride home. I have also ask other teachers to pick me in the mornings also. They are probably wondering when I am going to buy some dependable transportation. I tell them I have dependable transportation when it is runnning.

I have a 6.2 diesel GMC Customized Van which loves to eat batteries!!! But I've got it dependable now. It seems all vehicles have a mind of their own, they break down at the same time. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey I have an 82 Diesel Van too.
    I am converting it to 4wd though, and it's going to be my camping rig. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif