Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Busted Rear Shock Mount

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by offroadcowboy, Nov 4, 2004.

1. offroadcowboy

offroadcowboy 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any suggetions on how to fix a busted rear drivers side shock mount.Mine sheared at the rivets and I need some suggetions on how to either fix it or fab up a replacement.Thanks

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Grind it smooth and weld it. If you don't have a welder a local welding shop should be able to hook you up cheap

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

There is no good way to get a welder in there to weld it up. Mine has broken the same way. I removed my rear shocks and have had them out for 2 years. I am going to fab up some new mounts sometime soon. The bounce is kind of annoying. I also need the shocks to help control body sway now that I have more lift then I used to.

Harley

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I run one single center mounted shock from the pinion to the x-member. It stopped the bounce, gets a bit wild with big bumps but it rides smooth (1 crappy shock). I also don't have any more wheel travel issues.h

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Sometimes you see that bracket in the LMC catalog. I ended up welding a washer to the inside of mine to reinforce it up on the shock mount where mine broke. You can get in there but it is a PITA. Can't you just bolt it back on?

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Look at the Missouri Offroad outfitters at his website this guy hass a bad azz setup going on, it looks like it just bolts on.

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

yes i used that it rocks!!!!!! plus he is a way cool guy and helped me out alot i would absoulty recomend his stuff /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I looed at mine, it looks like you might be able to get some bolts through it it but it might be a real PITA to do /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. offroadcowboy

offroadcowboy 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks all for the suggestions .I think i am gonna fab up some kind of mount to last me for a while then go with the missori off road kit or make one of my own. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

here is a crappy drawing of where it broke the jagged lines being the shear point
    [​IMG]

9. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I'm thinking it wouldn't be that hard to fab up something out of thick angle iron for now. MOO is a good shop. He fabbed up some lower bolt on shock mounts for my Corp14ff after I cut my stock ones off prematurely. I eventually will go with his over the top truss for the rear. In fact, he might be able to fab up an upper shock mount for you.

10. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

If you want, I'll take mine off and send it to you. Just cover shipping. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif