Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Busted rear spring...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, Jun 9, 2002.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well I was under my truck today tinkering a bit here and there. Noticed a spring on the passenger side looked bent or something. It is the second from the bottom and has the spring aligning tab riveted to the end of it. Closer inspection shows that it is broken right at the u-bolts...

I'm pretty sure it's recent...I was out wheeling last week.

I guess I'll have to look for another set of 88 or newer rear springs and swap them in. Probably a good time for the poor boy shackle flip while I have it apart.

Rene

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Don't be upset, I found the same crack on the same leaf last week while doing my disc brake conversion. I think I am just going to go with some 56's now while i got everything apart.

3. </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I guess I'll have to look for another set of 88 or newer rear springs and swap them in

[/ QUOTE ]

are those the 63" variety? if so do they ride better on the road than 52s?

4. tRustyK5

No...I should have been more clear. My springs were from an 88 Blazer, still 52" long. They do have the teflon tips though and did ride and flex pretty good. This is my daily driver so I'll probably go with another newer set of 52's but rebuild them first.

Jason, what bracket did you use for your shackle flip? Was that the front hanger of the rear springs on a half ton? How much lift did you get out of that?

Rene

5. you are right. front hangers from rear springs of a 4x4 1/2 ton P/U. 99% sure 3/4 P/U would work too. i really liked how it looked factory and all, but it was a lot of grinding and drilling. i think i would go with ORD next time or Borrigok5's brackets. that is unless i had a torch to take em off. might be a lot easier. gave me 4 inch lift in the rear- dropped the rear spring eye 8" so 4" at the axle.

anyone do the flip with 56 inchers? the axle is more then 1/2 the distance away from the rear eye. it's probably not enogh to make a difference but theoretically it would give less lift. but theoretically i think no one cares /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

6. tRustyK5

Thanks Jason!

Rene

7. no problemo /forums/images/icons/cool.gif