Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

busted rear window cable - help!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by creampuff90k5, Nov 1, 2002.

1. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

A few days ago, the cable between the rear power window motor and regulator broke. No big deal right? Well unfortunately, the window was DOWN! How the heck do I get the window back up again so I can replace the cable? Thanks.

2. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

OOH. What part of the cable broke? You could probably shear back the plastic part and turn it with some vise grips. Replacing is pretty easy.

3. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

take the panel off, and remove the cable from the motor and see if its broken on the motor end, or at the regulator, if its at the motor, cut the case back and try to turn it up, if its at the regulator, take it to the glass shop.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. RockaFella

RockaFella Registered Member

For a Temporary Fix Take apart The Back (Tailgate Pice Facing Torward Front of Blazer) And unhook it all push up your glass and put it back togeter b/c leaving it down sucks in exhaust and rain its gotta be horrible to have it down...

5. creampuff90k5

tried all of that already...

I've had the blazer since brand new in 1989, so I'm no stranger to tailgate problems, but this one really has me stumped.

Already tried the drill/vise grips/stripping down the cable idea. It didn;t work and in fact, some more of the cable snapped off. This leads me to believe that "stuck" portion of the cable is on the regulator side, which is blocked by the glass.

6. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

Re: tried all of that already...

You should be able to un-bolt the rails that the window rides on (to get to the regulator area). The part going into the regulator is the same as the motor, and try to turn it to move the rails 1/2 way up and re-attach the window (not more to be able to close the tailgate). Close and roll up the tailgate (turn cable while its shut). OR run to the dealer and replace that $30-35 cableright away.

7. creampuff90k5

GOT IT!!!

Rogerwilco71, you're exactly right. I discovered those four bolts at the bottom of the glass and was wondering if that would work, then read your reply. Wrenching in those tight quarters is no picnic, though!! Dealer will have new cable in on Monday...

8. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

remove the covering and expose the cable and get your cordless drill and attach to the cable and you will have /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifa temp fix to keep out the cold. worked for me /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

Re: GOT IT!!!

Mine got stuck the same way And I wound up drilling small holes over the bolts on the bottom of the window so I could get a rachet on them, then the window will lift up with your hand.

Matt