Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Busted shaft pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K1Orion, Jan 27, 2004.

1. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

I'm not sure what broke, but something else caused this.
    A couple weeks ago a some friends borrowed my truck to pull one of theirs back home after they broke. When they brought it back the front d-shaft had the busted joint shown here. I fixed it today and went out to play in the snow, now I got no 4wd. The front shaft spins but the axles don't. I suspect its a broken axle inside the shaft, sice both axle joints are intact but neither axle spins when given power.

Anybody seen a u-joint break like that? The joint was whatever brand O' Reilly sells( I was in a pinch when I bought it) and is less than 6 months old. The big chunk of joint was still in the yoke as seen in the picture, the shaft looks exactly the same as when they brought it home. What would cause it to break like that before an axle joint gave out? Must have been in a real bind.

2. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Not an d-shaft joint but an axle shaft joint.

[​IMG]

It broke while going streight ahead. When it first broke the 4th cap was still in the yoke but I had to use 4wd a couple of times while getting out of the trail and it must of poped out.

You said that you fixed it and not your friend who busted it. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

3. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You said that you fixed it and not your friend who busted it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It needed to get done, he bought the parts, I just put it back together. I've broken axle joints like the pics before but never a d-shaft joint. Axle joints get the extra torque generated from the axle gearing, d-shaft is just motor x trans x 4hi gearing. Still not sure how/why it broke. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Pull the diff cover and take a look. Sounds like something ate itself in there.

5. rcurrier44

Ok as long as they bought you the part. I have plenty of friends who I would loan a truck to but would be better off fixing it myself if it broke. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I can only speculate but sence the one yoke is pealed away I would guess that someware along the line you cracked the part of the cross that is still in the driveline, and it finaly failed because of hard use. Ounce one side goes it simply peals away the oposite yoke. Origional crack could of been anything from a rock hit to bad needle bearings in that side of the joint.

Its all covered in rust now, but when it first broke did you see any rust on the sheared off area? That would be a good indicator of it being previously cracked.

I don't see any marks on the end of the good yoke so I am guessing that it didn't bind. Were there any marks on your straps at the axle side of the joint?

As to the situation it broke in. My guess would be pulling the other truck in reverse with both tires streight ahead and on something solid.

6. rcurrier44

Oh another order of breakage could be that you poped the cap out of the side with the torn yoke and the stub of the u-joint cross rattled around in there. It probubly woulden't move enough to tear the other yoke but probubly would crack the other cross after a couple of cycles.

Everything is just speculation because who knows how long the drive shaft was floping around under the truck before they got it shut down. You can loose pieces of parts very quickly when that happens.

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I know why it broke...
    Ever though of doing somthing in your truck but then though ehhh I dont wanna messup or do that in my truck, well your freind wasent driveing HIS truck /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Stick a prybar between the knuckle and the shafts and see if either shaft wiggles. If one does, the shaft probably broke just outside of the splines.

There is a smaller chance the spider gears got smoked.

Either way, with an open differential, power won't go anywhere.

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Your gonna have to pull the diff cover and see whats going on in there. Sounds like either the pinion/ring gear went or maybe just the spider gears. I have a 10 bolt open diff that I can get parts from, but it's buried in the snow. might not be right away. I do have the female end of a front shaft laying in my garage. If you want it, just pay the shipping and it's yours. Just to make sure it will work though, Count the splines on yours. PM me if you want it. I'm not gonna use it. The rest of that shaft went bye-bye along time ago! But I have never seen a front shaft snap like that.

10. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I've got spare shafts and I recently aquired an Auburn Posi for the 44. I'm gonna put em all in tomorrow if I can convince my buddy( the guy who broke it in the first place, although I'm sure it would have broke sooner or later, He just happened to be behind the wheel when it let go) to use his garage to work on it. Mine is more of a parts/tools hole, not enough room to actually fit a vehicle in.

Since there is 2" of ice covered by 4" of snow on the ground( the reason it had to be done so I could go play in it) and highs in the 20s I wont be wrenchin the driveway as usual. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I'll post pics when I find what else is busted.

11. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Highs in the 20's!!! I wish it was that warm here...i was out playing tranny man the otherday with a balmy 2 deg. temp plus wind chill! Good luck with the project though and post some pics of the breakage!

12. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like either the pinion/ring gear went or maybe just the spider gears.

[/ QUOTE ] We have a winner /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

The side of the case is cracked pretty good also.

[​IMG]

These are some of the bigger parts that came out of the pumpkin. You can see the chunk of cross shaft and pieces of spider gear. Luckily nothing "F"ed up the ring gear or pinion so i will be able to put the ring gear back in. I would have put it all back together today with the auburn posi I've got but the carrier bearing races looked pretty bad. nobody around here had em in stock so I had to order em from Randy's ring and pinion. Hopefully I'll have it together next week.

13. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Front or rear? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]