Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

busted starter bolt fix needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Mar 26, 2004.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Well, I found out why that starter didn't work for the guy I bought the K20 off of. I got to looking at it yesterday and discovered that the rear brace was only bolted up on one end and one of the starter bolts was missing, dumba$$. I tried to put a new bolt in, only to find that the old one had been broken off in the hole /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. I have had to fix one like that before unfortunately. I drilled it and used an extractor, which broke off in the bolt. Then, I had to use diamond tipped dremel bits to grind down the broken extractor enough to get it out. Then, I used a really $$ extractor to finally get the bolt stub out. Does anyone else have a better idea? I hate the thoughts of laying under the truck drilling crap out over my head and stuff with cutting oil dripping on me. It's either that or keep parking on a hill to bump start it. Anyone have any other thoughts? Who makes the best extractors? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. chickenass

chickenass Registered Member

When I bought my truck it didn't have the starter brace so I picked one up. I went to start my truck to turn it around so I could put it in and it sheared one of the starter bolts. I used a left hand drill bit and it dug in about 3/8 of an inch and pulled the bolt right out. I didn't even have to use an extractor. I had to shop around to find the bit, but it was well worth it.

3. steelsoldiers

Dang dude, first post and it's a good one /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I forgot about the old left handed bits. I'll have to do some calling around for that. Thanks.

Chris

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Vermont American makes an entire left hand drill bit set that retails about $45.

5. steelsoldiers

Ah-ha, thanks Timmy, that's what I needed to know /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The square type extractors are the best, and of course you should use the largest one that you can. When I sheared my steering arm bolts coming out of Lower Helldorado Me and FWP used his left hand bits on the 3 sheared studs. The studs never moved, but I still got a good sized hole to drive my extractor into. I bought a set of the tapered square extractors from Napa and they did the job just fine.

Of course I wasn't drilling over my head.../forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

7. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

also, if it isnt too deep in there to reach, put a nut over the end, or hole if you will, and tack some bead in there welding the nut to the bolt, maybe finesse out slow n gentle, worked for me a month ago.
    Rob

8. steelsoldiers

Well, unfortunately it is broken off down in the whole by about 1/2" or more /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I have one of those square extractors and a brand new bit to match it. I'll give it a shot first. Then, if that doesn't work I'll try a bigger and bigger reverse bit. Eventually I'll get to a point when there might be just a little thread and I can tap it out. It's raining right now so I might not do anything /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif