Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Busted Tranny Housing

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tommy, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

I busted the tranny housing on my 350TH this weekend riding, kicker is I just rebiult it in the spring. Is there any precautions that can be taken to prevent this from happening again? It cracked near where it bolt to the transfer adapter. I wanted to go manual then when I rebuilt it, but now I really want to, but cost is a factor.

Drive it Like You Hate It!

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Best way to avoid this is to make sure that all of your engine, tranny, and t-case mounts are present and in good condition. Are the bracket and rubber mounts in place that mount the side of the t-case to the frame?

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

3. jmeador74

jmeador74 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if you are still considering going to a manual still? I have a 4sp sm465 and am wanting to swap to an auto... I have a th700-r4 that I am wanting to put in... the only prob is that the o/p shaft on the 700-r4 is a 27 spline like your th350, but the o/p shaft on my manual tranny is a 10 spline... and that correlates to the input shaft on the transfer cases 10 for manual and 27 for auto, so if your still considering going to a manual you would either need my transfer case that has the 10 spline or buy an adapter from either advance adapters or offroad design...let me know. Either here or my e-mail: jmeador74@hotmail.com whether or not you choose to stick it out with your auto or want to trade? My manual for you auto setup...?
    72 Chevy Blazer

P.S.
    You would also need to change out the adapters between the tranny and the transfer case.

4. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

Where are you located? I am in North Alabama. I want to go manual, but I feel it would be a pain to get all the linkage stuff. Would you be interested in the 350TH also? Exactly what all are you talking about trading. Tommy

5. hirider34

hirider34 Registered Member

tommy,
    Start scouring the paper. I managed to pick up an SM465, NP205, crossmember, all linkages, pedals, and column from a wrecked 71 for around $200. They're out there, you just gotta look. There's also not a ton involved in the swap in the 1st gens. Good luck.

Why buy it if you can build it better?
    All Give Some. Some gave all. God bless the fallen Brothers in the FDNY.

6. jmeador74

jmeador74 1/2 ton status

Hey... I live in Central Texas...
    well I was talking about swapping for your np205, stock adapter (adapter between the tranny and the t/c) and part of that input shaft going into the t/c from tranny (if there is one), and we might have to swap drive shafts... do you have column shift or floor... if floor I would like to have that as well... don't want the old tranny unless I can use it as a core and I don't think any one would take a cracked housing. I could prolly use the torque converter if it would work with a 700-r4 tranny...?

you would be trading for...
    sm-465, stock adapter and shaft, np205 mated to it. and the clutch linkage as well...I just thought of something... we may need to swap crossmembers as well...

getting too complicated yet?

I haven't looked at how easy it would be to pull the clutch pedal out, but I will take a look. The last thing is how are we actually going to do the swap....?

P.S.
    Before you get your hopes up too much I want to let you know of a few things...
    the transfer case is in pretty good condition so is the stock adapter
    the clutch needs to be replaced...
    the tranny slips out of third gear all the time
    the tranny also leaks almost all of its gear oil into the transfer case and then the transfer case spews it out of the breather hole on top...

Let me know either way what you want to do?

72 Chevy Blazer

7. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

I was told there is supposed to be a brace that goes from the transfer case to the front of the transmission. Is this true? More details if you know about it. Tommy

8. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My 77 did not have the factory brace that goes between the back of the engine block and the side of the transfer case. We had to drill and tap the transfer case and install it, AFTER three broken cases within about 6 months. Before the the trany rebuild it went 150K with no problem. After the rebuild we had this series of case breaks, go figure. We had replaced ALL drivetrain mounts, trany and engine too.

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

9. jmeador74

jmeador74 1/2 ton status

Well on my truck it looks as if the transfer case has a side mount on the side of it to mount it to the frame rails along with the the normal crossmember mount as well.... So far as I can tell on some vehicles they have a rod that does mount in the same spot where this bracket is (attaching itself to my t/c to the frame rail....) up to the back of the engine block using one of the bellhousing bolts on the tranny. Hope this helps...
    72 Chevy Blazer

10. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

The original Dana 20 transfer case in my truck had a brace that attached it to the frame rails. My NP205 has tabs where it looks like I could drill and tap some holes for a brace, but I didn't feel like doing that. I think I will probably have to learn from experience on this one.

1970 GMC Jimmy 502HO/SM465/NP205 doesn't run just yet!

11. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

'69 - '72 trucks all have the bracket that attaches the side of the case to the frame rail. The same frame holes are used for the Dana 20 or the NP205. You need this bracket, or the later model brace that goes up to the motor mount.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

12. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Do the automatic and 4 speeds have this brace? If so mine is missing and does not have an allotment for it. I checked my spare 205 and it does not either. I have a 4 speed with 205 in a 72 and my spare is from the 69 that I rolled.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=) [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chevyracing>http://community.webshots.com/user/chevyracing</a>

13. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

John,

Do they have the two threaded holes in the side. See where this brace on the side of this t-case is mounted <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun21/aag>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun21/aag</a>. That is where the mount goes on the 69-72 K5's then the mount goes to the passenger side frame rail. Hope I helped.

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/californiak5>CaliforniaK5's Pictures</a>

14. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Man........DUH ON ME!!!!!! I see it and mine is all there. Think my mind is cockeyed from trying to put that long snout waterpump on...LOL

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=) [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/23622937JIJjTHhZPo>http://community.webshots.com/album/23622937JIJjTHhZPo</a>