Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

busted truck....I need advice, thoughts, diesel engine?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mr.LaHoyaSunset, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Mr.LaHoyaSunset

Mr.LaHoyaSunset Registered Member

Quick question, and I need advice. My blazer has been broken, but not entirely, my question is this, should i shell out 350 and get a junkyard engine, or take it to the shop and expect roughly a grand to have it replaced..... the only thing is that I have never done an engine swap..... if any of you have a 305 or 350 or a diesel engine that i could throw in, I would be greatly appreciative, and I would learn how to do it, I really do not want to lose my truck, but its been sitting on the street for roughly 3 weeks now..... still runs, just not well.... it could be a busted camshaft.. again, busted water pump, lifter, piston, anything...
    I drove through a puddle, and it started to stall, then the thing turned on, and wouldnt cool, and started making a loud click/clang and the thermostat started twitching with the clang..... any thoughts?

2. Mr.LaHoyaSunset

Mr.LaHoyaSunset Registered Member

Quick note, the engine in the truck is a 305, I am looking for a qualified replacement, emphasis on Diesel... cheaper than gas, and roughly better mileage... and they sound better /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

3. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Id just put a new engine in there. You can get 350's for pretty cheap. If you have some $$ laying around theres a guy out of AZ that sells badass 383's on ebay for around 2000 and they have high HP. Engine swaps arnt that hard to do if you have all the tools. Just remeber to lable ALL of the wires when you remove them from the current engine. Figuring out where they go later is a PITA!!!

Nick

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you've never done any sprt of engine swap I wouldn't start with a gas to diesel swap...there is a lot more to swap than just the motor.

Rene