Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Busted U-Joint on XJ Steering Shaft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Feb 2, 2007.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

anyone here that is running an XJ shaft have that problem? Well, when were fixing my steering last week, my buddys dad noticed that one of the caps on one of the ujoint was busted, allowing it to make a clunk noise, and cause play...

are these replacable? I thought I remembered seeing a "key way" of some sort on them....

So, should I: buy a new XJ shaft, or just buy a Borgeson shaft?

Or, could I use something like this, from Borgeson ????[​IMG]

2. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

If I were you, I would just get another XJ shaft, they are real easy to find(at least in my neck of the woods) and they're cheap. The pick n pull by me wants $14 for a shaft, but if you go during a 1/2 off sale its only $7.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh, Id go with another XJ shaft, I got one sitting in the garage ear-marked for mine, whenever Im not feeling lazy. The pull-a-part up here was $9 for one, and last time I was there I looked at like 30 diff XJ's till I found one with no fenders & no brake booster so it was real easy to get out.

4. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

Yea ya gotta find the ones that have the steering gearbox removed, one bolt, 1 minute and its yours

5. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, not many XJs around here...the only ones I have seen, the shafts are already gone(I`ve already gotten them all):(