Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Butch for president!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, Jan 14, 2003.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Many thanks to Tim (Butch...resident genius) for his Death Wobble cure!

I have spent the last 7 weeks rebuilding my truck nearly from the ground up, swapped a 6.2 diesel in, freshened up the T-case and tranny, rear disc brakes, A-tron anti wrap bar, and installed my D60 front. I had it up and running and done (I thought...) on Saturday night and wanted to bring it home. 3 blocks from the "Bat Cave" and i realized that wasn't going to happen. I had death wobble in enormaous proportions at anything over 25 mph.

Tonight I made the modification Butch suggested and added a new stock single steering stabilizer. I threw in a wild card and also bolted up some used 39.5"x15"x15" TSL's (unbalanced, no golf balls either) and took it for a drive. Death Wobble is 100% gone. 70 mph it's smooth as glass...the Jimmy is sitting in my carport now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

For those that may have missed Butch's post the cure is less than $3 worth of 1/2" fender washers on top of the king pin spring. 1/4" worth adds enough preload to prevent the DW...

Thanks Tim!!! If you were closer I'd give you a big sloppy kiss/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

congrats on getting it home i bet your glad to have it back and drivable /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    <font color="red">If you </font color><font color="orange">were closer </font color> <font color="yellow">I'd give </font color> <font color="green"> you a </font color> <font color="blue">big sloppy </font color> <font color="purple"> kiss </font color>

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

J/K Rene.... glad you solved that issue for for so cheap. Way cool Butch! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. tRustyK5

If you ever experience death wobble you'd understand. I would have paid anything to get rid of it...I almost ditched the truck before I could get the steering back under control./forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Rene

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I had it for awhile. I know how bad it sucks... I wanted to drive my truck into a wall it got so annoying...

6. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I would like to thank Butch also. I have had Death wobble ever since I put my dana 60 in (about 6 months ago). I found two washers at the local hardware store that fit perfectly in the cap and were 1/4 thick. now there isnt the slightest amount of death wobble there.

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Rene,

I can imagine after all the work you put in, then the feeling of pride and accomplishment to turn the key and head down the road, and boom, DW.

Large brown stain and a large blue cloud. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Glad to hear it worked, I plan on adding some soon.

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I dare you to put your old stabilizer on and see if you have DW. Just curious.

9. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Thanks Rene,
    Glad it helped. I dont think putting the old stabilizer back on would matter. TJ's is pretty worn out and rock beat and even with just the single on it his DW went away. Oh instead of voting for me for Pres. You guys could give me a Top 4x4 sites vote instead /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif click here

10. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Like I said - its just a Dare /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Don't get me wrong, I would vote you in for President for your idea. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. tRustyK5

Neil, that is a reasonable request. I'm curious myself and it would further validate Butch's cure. Hell, I'll just remove the new stabilizer and go for a drive...

Rene

12. tRustyK5

You got my vote Butch...hopefully we can all keep 4x4 Iron on the first page!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

13. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Just voted for you.
    BTW, what is the OD of the 1/2" fender washers you are talking about?

14. tRustyK5

2" works perfectly!

Rene

15. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Rene,

Glad to hear it... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

So what is the O.D. of those washers? Do you think it would be better to try to find a 1/4" solid spacer as opposed to stacking thin washers?

I think Butch should sell this "Death Wobble Eliminator Kit" for about $50 on his site. Not that he'd get a lot of CK5 business (since he told us for free!) but you never know....every little bit helps when you're running for President!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. tRustyK5

The cup of the steering arm or just the cup on the plain cap is enough that the thin washers can't move around...so I don't see any advantage using one thick washer or 4 thin ones.

Honestly...I would have paid anything to rid myself of the death wobble. it was brutal!!/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

17. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Thanks! I know where I'm going for lunch...NAPA - to get some washers!

18. tRustyK5

I got mine at home depot...twice/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rene

19. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I know the feeling with Death Wobble and so does my family. I did not have a problem when I had stock steering. I did crossover and slapped on a set of 38.5's and made it 100 feet out of the driveway and almost lost it. I limped back to the house and put my 35's back on and all seemed well up to about 80mph so I thought it was the tires. That night we went to a fireworks show, took the top off and loaded everybody into the K5. Going into town I hit a good bump and DW. Nothing like tring to get the truck back under control on a crowded road with 3 kids and a wife in a panic. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I put a coil over steering stabilizer on and it does it's job. I can actually feel it kick in to stop the DW before it gets out of hand. I have some washers to put in mine when I put it back togeather.

20. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

This is actually an old trick that jeepers have used. the old king pin axles would wobble too but they went about it a different way. They would take off the tires and the tierod. they would then increase the tension on the springs with washers untill it took about 11 pounds of force to turn the spindle (back and forth). The death wobble was gone. Looks like this method is basically the same thing.