Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buy a beater(not jeremy lol)? worth it?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Emmettology 101, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ok, so I ave my 99 Tahoe. Just sunk a bunch of cabbage into it and I like it.. But I go to school at night and driving it back and forth really eats up the gas... Have been thinking about buying a cheap beater or selling theTahoe and buying a car. Hate to sell the Tahe because i like it and because i like having 4wd in the winter.

So a friend of mine has an 85 VW Golf. It's in pretty good shape, has a little rust, but nothing bad. Interior is very clean and it hs under 100K on it.. Drove it last night.. Runs good, has newer tires, brakes, exhaust.... It may need a brakeline and the shifter linkage needs fixed.(under $50 for the shifter.).... I can get the car for $200...

Would it be worth it? Or do you think it would just nickle and dime me to death?

I could probably always get my money back out of it...

2. Emmettology 101

Vey true. The car was bought from my friends grandfather. Anothe friend had it a little while and then sold it to another friend.. This guy put tires, brakes, exhasut, plugs, wires, etc. on it.. And Now he has it for sale because someone gave him a van...

The interior is very clean. The outside has a little rust, but nothing major.. I think I'm going to do it..

Only thing that scares me is I have to drive through a bad section of town to get to school. If it breaks down, it may cost me my life. LOL

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

CCW

4. Emmettology 101

I have thought about it.... But you cant carry on school grounds as far as I know and I wouldn't want to leave my piece in the car.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I would!..

I'd say go for it!--200 bucks is cheap,any 4 banger any good at all here is worth 500-1000 easy!..I would be lost without a cheaper vehicle to drive than my K20--despite it getting 16-20 mpg,the cost of diesel offsets any savings..I'd never be able to go on long trips in that thing,its like driving a deuce and a half!..

I had an 86 VW diesel Jetta,and I was a fool to sell it for 100 bucks in '03..It got 45 mpg,and had 252,000 on it,still ran and drove like new!--and the body was MINT,a rarity for a MA car!..

VW's kind of suck to work on though,everything had allen head bolts or weird "star" metric bolts,but the 5 years I had mine,all I ever did was a clutch (brand new one previous owner installed had the disc lose the anti-chatter springs,if not for that I'd have never had to fix it--) and I put new front brake pads,one wheel cylinder,and the usual rotted brake line repairs everything here needs after a few years..I miss that car,I was dumb to sell it..I heard the junkyard I sold it too re-sold it for 500 to a foriener!..:doah:

I'd not worry about it breaking down in the ghetto,ANY vehicle can!..just walk softly,and carry a BIG stick if you do (or a tire iron!)..cell phones can call for help fast,just carry one and you'll be fine..:crazy:

6. Emmettology 101

This will be my fourth Dub! :) I love'em.. Only reason i sell them is cause it's nice to have a 4wd or someone wants to buy them. lol I'll get some pics up after I get it... It's dookie looking, but should get good mileage!