Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buy a Tahoe with 90,000 miles on it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76chevy, May 28, 2002.

1. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Would you guys buy a Tahoe with 90,000 miles on it.?

I need a bigger vehicle with 4 doors. That rules out a blazer and a suburban in too big to fit in my garage. No mini-vans either.

I only can spend about $13,000 right now so that keeps me in about 96/97 Tahoe.

It seems like the only ones I can find in that price range have about 90,000 miles. I saw one that had less but most have high 80,000 to 90,000's.

I'm a little concered about miles and life of the transmission.

What would you guys do? Are these dependable enough to last very long?

2. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i would look around more, around here you can get a nice 4x4 for that kind of money and around 50,000 miles on it. if you are willing to travel to get it you can find some great deals..

3. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I may do that.

The high miles kind of scare me. The scare me more in the sense of haveing to pay for the transmission or engine.

My current truck is 26 yrs old with just a transmission replacement so I'm sure I could keep the Tahoe going but I don't want to pay the loan payment and on top of it buy a motor or tranny.

4. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

I have a 1997 tahoe with 107.000 miles on her and she still runs strong .It has always been a very dependable truck for me .It is a great family truck that is very roomy and easy to drive .I would recommend one to you .But be sure that you get the 5.7 and have a carfax report handy .If you find a well maintained never abused tahoe buy it you will be very happy with it I would'nt worry to much about the miliage its the make that counts........good luck

5. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't worry about the motor that much, those Vortechs are great engines. My brother had about 75,000 miles on his 99 Tahoe when he turned it in, and his ran perfect! The trannies are way improved over the old 700R4s - I haven't seen any significant problems with the 4L60Es...seem to hold up well...I know my brother beat the hell out of his and it still performed great...he also towed a lot of toys with it, never complained.

Sure, the lower the miles the better, but I wouldn't be afraid of one with 90,000 miles, should run well for another 90,000! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a 99 Tahoe I bought used with 50K on it.I have put on an additional 25K myself. 76K as of now. I looked a long time for one that was maintained to my own standards. I have every ticket for any and all work done from the previous owner(oil changes, tires etc.) Mine was excellent and being able to see that it was well kept by the owner by the 1" stack of records is reasuring. I have had no prblems with motor or trans and the only major thing was a cat. converter that broke apart in the exhaust and GM replaced it on a 80K warranty.The guy even had it cleaned and detailed every week since new also! Check them out good cause there are some out there that are ragged even though they clean up nice.

Clay

7. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

My K5 has 174,000 miles on it and runs like new. The motor and tranny have never been gone through. It doesnt use any oil, leak or ever let me down so I wouldnt worry about a measly 90k on a drivetrain thats even better than the one I have.

8. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

90.000 miles isn't much for these new chevs. My 93 silverado has 215,000 miles on it now on origional engine and tranny. There's some slack in rear-end now, but it still runs strong and doesn't burn or leak oil. I wouldn't be afraid of that mileage unless it's not well maintained.

tom

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's just getting broken in well. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif My wife's '94 Sub had 76K on it when we bought it. It's up to 106K now. Haven't replaced anything but tires and brake pads on it. A buddy of mine was PO'd when he had to replace the engine in his '91 Sub. It lasted only 276K. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif There's no guarantee that you'll buy one that will last nearly forever, but there are many of them that seem to do just that. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

It's a Chevy.. and it's a Tahoe, you'd be good to go assuming the person took very good care of the truck. My wife bought a 1999 Tahoe 4dr, 4wd with 80,000 + miles on it, no problems with it since.. and we now have 105,000 + miles on it. No major component problems.. I just recently replaced the thermostat..that's it !!! We LOVE this truck.. very strong, roomy, tow's nice, great ride on the highway. And I really love the Vortec engines.. as alway's .. Chevy's are known for their longevity !!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    I'd say go for it... The Tahoe is a great truck period...
    I know there are people who aren't fond of IFS, but once you drive one on the highway.. you'll love it..
    We don't wheel the truck... so it's perfect..
    Hope this helps with your decision and good luck.

11. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

When my father turned in his 96 2dr Yukon... it had 260k+ on it. Original trans and motor. Used about a quart of oil an oil change, but thats it. No smoke or anything. Seats were worn out and had chips in the paint, but run great.

Ken H.

12. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Those were the answers I was looking for. People that have Tahoes and have had good sucsess. I've searched the web and have only seen a few accounts of altenators going out and very few transmissions going bad. It is nice to hear of some that have high milage on them.

I looked for more Tahoes and found a very clean one with 90,000 miles. Actually I found two that look just alike. One is dark green the other is light green. Same rims and lift. Wierd. Here are the specs on the dark green one. 2 inch lift and 32's with nice rims. LT (Leather). No offroad or towing and owner has all reciepts and changed the oil every 3,000 miles. Transmission every 15,000 miles. The 4wd drive was used due to the snow we get here so hopefully was used enough things didn't go bad. I'm not going to do any major four wheeling in a Tahoe but it helps having the lift, tires and rims already. I'm sure a few exrta mods will eventually creep in somewhere!

Very nice and well kept. He wants to get one with the new body style and he is pretty well off so why not. His other cars were immaculate also so it seems like he takes pretty good care of them. When I talked to him he took his family in it to horse riding lessons so I know he still uses and isn't worried about anything breaking down. I will test drive it and look it over again and make a decision.

I appreciate your help. I definately trust you guys more than some salesguy who doesn't know anything about Tahoes.

13. HarryH3

Check the RPO sticker that should be in the glove box to see if any of the following gear ratio codes match:

GU2 = 2.73
    GU4 = 3.08
    GU6 = 3.42
    GT4 = 3.73
    GT5 or GT8 = 4.10
    G80 = Gov-lock

If the gear ratio is numerically lower than 3.73, then the big tires will not be a good thing.

14. 96Yukon

96Yukon Newbie

Hey i just bought a 96 Yukon for 13K and it came with 76K miles on it. i like it alot. love the room it has for the family and stuff. ths was a 4x4 model with leather and all the other goodies. husky liners throught, carpet in perfect shape.
    took me a while to find the right one and i looked for a lil while and i knew it when i seen it.
    Good luck man

oh and about the ratio codes?
    i didnt see those codes in the glove box, there is a sticker in there but it has about 100 different numbers and letters. i dunno. is there another place to look? how do you know if you ahve the tow package and stuff like that? the owner before installed electric trailer brake controler. maybe it has a tow package?
    any info on that?
    Thanks, Howard

15. HarryH3

There's a page near the front of the factory service manual that lists all of the RPO codes that were available that year. That sticker that has about 100 different numbers and letters on it is the list of RPO (Regular Production Option) options that were installed on your truck. Most of the axle codes start with the letter G. Find the 3-letter code that matches one in the list above and you'll know the gear ratio. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I don't remember what the RPO code was for the trailer package. Maybe someone has a manual handy and can look that up for you.

16. 96Yukon

96Yukon Newbie

i found a GU6 and a G80 on the sticker in the glove box.
    anyone else got that code book to tell me more about it?
    Thanks, Howard

17. HarryH3

So you've got 3.42 gears with a Gov-Loc posi in the back. It's unlikely that it came from the factory with a towing package. That option should have included the 3.73 gears as part of the tow package. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif But I've got a '94 manual, and since the codes seldom change, it's probably the same as for your '96. It shows that code VR4 was "Trailering Equipment: Weight Distributing Platform Hitch", it probably would have been combined with code U7Y "Harness, Wiring: Trailer Heavy Duty (7 Wire)" and code V08 "Cooling System: Heavy Duty".

18. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I think Z82 or Z85 is the trailer pkg. I have it on mine...may have been Z75 too, but I think thats quad shocks.

19. HarryH3

Ah yes, there it is. I didn't see that one in the list. My RPO list is a little over 4 pages long, with double columns. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif The Z82 is listed as "Trailering Equipment: Heavy Duty". I think that it you have that one listed, then you'll also have the others that I listed above. Z82 includes several other RPO's. On my S-Jimmy, if you ordered the heavy duty trailer package, it automatically included 3.42's (the lowest gears that you could get in them at the time), /forums/images/icons/frown.gif a Class III hitch, trailer wiring, larger radiator, larger tranny cooler, and an engine oil cooler.