Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buy American!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Feb 3, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I got this in eamil tonight, dunno how true it is, but sure is interesting...
    Edit: Some of this has been stated as not true, so maybe it should all be taken with a grain of salt!!

THIS IS WHY WE BUY AMERICAN.
    Very interesting - notice which companies supported us after September 11th.

CNN Headline News did a short news listing regarding Ford and GM's
    contributions to the relief and recovery efforts in New York and Washington.
    The findings are as follows......

1. Ford- $1 million to American Red Cross matching employee contributions of
    the same number plus 10 Excursions to NY Fire Dept.
    The company also offered ER response team services
    and office space to displaced government employees.

2. GM- $1 million to American Red Cross matching
    employee contributions of the same number and a fleet of vans, suv's,
    and
    trucks.

3. Daimler Chrysler- $10 million to support of the children and victims of
    the Sept. 11 attack.

4. Harley Davidson motorcycles- $1 million and 30 new motorcycles to the New
    York Police Dept.

5. Volkswagen- Employees and management created a Sept 11 Foundation, funded
    initial with $2 million, for the assistance of the children and victims
    of the WTC.

6. Hyundai- $300,000 to the American Red Cross.

7. Audi- Nothing.

8. BMW- Nothing.

9. Daewoo- Nothing.

10. Fiat- Nothing.

11. Honda- Nothing despite boasting of second best sales month ever in
    August 2001

12. Isuzu- Nothing.

13. Mitsubishi- Nothing.

14. Nissan- Nothing.

15. Porsche- Nothing. Press release with condolences via the Porsche
    website.

16. Subaru- Nothing.

17. Suzuki- Nothing.

18. Toyota- Nothing despite claims of high sales in July and August 2001.
    Condolences posted on the website

Whenever the time may be for you to purchase or lease a new vehicle, keep
    this information in mind. You might want to give more consideration to a car
    manufactured by an American-owned and / or American based company.

Apart from Hyundai and Volkswagen, the foreign car companies contributed
    nothing at all to the citizens of the United States.

It's OK for these companies to take money out of this country, but it is
    apparently not acceptable to return some in a time of crisis. I believe we
    should not
    forget things like this.

Say thank you in a way that gets their attention.

Pass it on.

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Your ad here.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by newyorkin on 02/04/02 10:33 PM.</FONT></P>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

This was posted a little while ago and the Toyata line is wrong. They actually donated plenty. I'd be suspicious of the validity of these numbers.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard!!!

Are we supposed to assume, based on how much money was donated to various Sept. 11 funds, that American cars are better? Last time I checked, I buy american (except Subaru) because of QUALITY, not how much they give after a tragedy.

So what if Subaru didn't donate anything to the funds? Does that mean their cars automatically suck and we shouldn't buy anything from Subaru? Why don't you tell us all how much YOU donated to Sept. 11 funds?

For example, if I looked at two trucks (say, two 79 K5's), one mint, and one rusted out and not running with flat tires, with the piece of crap k5 being sold for a lot more than the good running one, I would have to buy the rusted out not running one because the person selling that one donated $100, while the person with the mint truck for $1000 less donated nothing at all... That is what that thing is trying to tell me...

If a plane hit a building in Japan, is it fair to EXPECT American companies to go donating their money to Japan? NO!!!!! Our problems aren't Japan's problems. I wouldn't even care if Chevy didn't donate anything, because donations are just that: DONATIONS. You can't EXPECT anyone or think any less of someone for not donating THEIR money to something, no matter what the cause. It's just not fair.

79 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/capman2k/>Go Here</a>
    Wyoming doesn't exist, the map maker just needed to fill the space above Colorado[​IMG]

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

By the way, I realized that was kinda hard to follow.. it was a second typing because I lost the first one, so it doesn't have the same "feeling" as the first :P Nothing in there is directed toward any one person, as much as it may look like it!!! [​IMG]

Wyoming doesn't exist, the map maker just needed to fill the space above Colorado[​IMG]

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

If a plane hit a building in Japan, is it fair to EXPECT American companies to go donating their money to Japan? NO!!!!! Our problems aren't Japan's problems. I wouldn't even care if Chevy didn't donate anything, because donations are just that: DONATIONS. You can't EXPECT anyone or think any less of someone for not donating THEIR money to something, no matter what the cause. It's just not fair.

<hr></blockquote>
    Well actually if something similar happened in Japan I would expect GM, Ford, and Chyrsler to chip in a few bucks as a token of their commitment to the community in which it sells their products.
    My issue with this 'email' that is circulating is that it isn't factual...rather a sorry fabrication designed to alienate any product other than US made by insinuating that only US companies cared enough to donate $$$ to the cause.

I've seen what Toyata has donated (and it was not after this email...but well before it) and it was not a small amount of money. I have not seen any independant figures that back up this email. Whoever originally wrote this email should be ashamed!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Good points Rene.

I don't know any of it to be factual, I just found it interesting. Glad there was someone here to correct me! Figures, a rare time I post an email it turns out wrong...

Capman, chill out!! I think the message was more along the lines of "when considering two equal products in a category, consider the points of the seller", not "when considering a falling apart piece of crap versus a lower priced diamond, make the next consideration of your purchase be the seller's
    qualities". You distorted the point with the '79 example.
    Anyway, I tried to disclaim it by saying I didn't know how true it was. The idea was that they are happy to be our friend when we're handing them money, but they're the friends that are suddenly busy when you need help. A loyalty thing! Noone has to donate, noone is expecting it either. Your friends don't have to help you move. It's an extra effort that shows their support. When the friend that helped you and the friend that was sudden'y busy both need your help at the same time, which one should you help? That's the point. Think of it as an investment by the American companies if that makes you feel ok, I prefer to think of it as this is their home too, and they can help, so they will.

BTW dude, what did I donate? I sent in my money like every other american. September 11th is still a festering wound in NY.

And, while I posted it, I didn't necessarily endorse it, especially if it's untrue. I actually found it nice that at least some of them had a condolence for us.

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Your ad here.

7. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I'm chilled [​IMG]... the example in that one sucked, I know.. the original was better, I swear!!!

8. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Also read my second reply, I didn't mean it as an attack on anyone... hope you didn't take it that way!

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, no sweat. My other post was much different too!! I think that's been going around a lot lately... Anyway, I haven't deleted it because it got replies...

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Your ad here.