Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buy or lease gas cylinders for welding?

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by grimjaw, Sep 26, 2006.

1. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I just bought a Lincoln SP-175+ off Ebay used. The welder is in great shape and has all of the accessories. I have bought a HF mask and already wired the outlet on the shop. I just need wire and gas. I figure Airgas is the place to buy both.

Which is better, to buy my own cylinder or lease one from them? I can buy one for $150 from IOC shipped. I have no idea on lease cost.

School me.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if you can buy do it.

airgas is crazy high in our area. and a big pita to deal with. glad we have a second companywith better service and prices.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have been pricing gas for the exact same setup. Looks like the cheapest route is to get a cylinder off of eBay (that's where I bought my welder too) and get it filled locally.

4. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i would advise you buy the cylinders at the place that will fill your tanks some places are a PITA on testing / certifications on tanks - if it is from them no problems -- just what i have found

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'd buy one. Some places don't even lease anymore.

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Used to be that leasing was the better deal. Cost was the same either way. Leased tank meant they'd just exchange it and they had to do the Hydro-testing. Owned meant they re-filled your tank (= wait a couple days) and you had to have the hydro-testing done.

Now they exchange "owned" tanks and they do the hydro-testing. Don't really see a downside to "owning" the tank.

7. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Crazy. Airgas is the exact opposite here. The guy takes great care of me and normally tacks on a slight discount on their already lower than others price...

Anyways, Buy the cylinder. You can do a smaller cyl at first and upgrade as you go for just the difference in cost of the two cylinders. You won't actually own a single cyl but exchange it for a different one.

Exactly like exchanging your propane tank for your gas grill at Home Depot.

8. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Just a few weeks ago I purchased two tanks for my torch set from Airgas in Santa Maria, CA. In this area they are better in the gas and tank area, but you have to check around for prices of supplies and equipment. For the tanks, however, buying was less cost than rent for two years. Also with Airgas, the tanks are exchangeable nationwide. For those of us who tend to move around, this is a real advantage.

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I didnt even know you could lease. I dont see why you would want to really. Just buy it.