Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

buy or not?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lak2004, Dec 8, 2006.

1. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

I recently have been looking for a K5 to purchase and I found an 85 that is already lifted 6" with 35" bfg mtrs, the only downside is it is carb., I will be using the blazer as a daily as well as weekend wheelin, i dont think i will be getting to crazy on the trails yet but am I going to have a prob with the engine stalling out? it has an edelbrock truck carb built for offroad but is it really going to help? or should i not buy it and keep looking for a 87-91 F.I.? Thanks

2. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

If it has a q-jet, stock or aftermarket, you will have no problem running at an angle. If it's a standard squarebore edel with the offroad kit, it will not work as well and probably get a little worse mileage. The TBI trucks get 2+ MPG better, and probably run a little better overall (unless the q-jet is tuned really well), but are more difficult to add HP to. You can rejet a carb, EFI is another story.

3. jdwest

jdwest Newbie

send me an email. I know of an 87 K5 thats for sale, lifted, regeared, and fuel injected here in southern ID.

4. SierraJim

SierraJim Registered Member

Remember folks, he lives in Colorado. Most of his wheeling will be at a pretty high altitude. Sorry to Hijack, but I saw your post elsewhere. I was wondering the same thing though!!

5. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

Yes I do live in CO sorry I forgot to mention it and yea lots of high altitude trails here. I went over Kingston Peak a few months ago and that was at like 11,000ft almost.

6. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I would hold off and buy a 1987-1991 if you can. Nothing worst than trying to get over a rock or climb a hill and the engine is sputtering due to the carb.

7. duanel

duanel Registered Member

I and alot of older people perfer carbs because to us they are easier to work on you dont have a f**king computer and all those other stupid sensors and properly tuned do quite well (well after the engine warms up, yeah cold they stumble)