Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

buyers inspection

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5dreamer, Oct 16, 2006.

1. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

Hey all, im going to be asking the current owner of a M1009 blazer to have a buyers inspection done on the vehicle before i come to look at it, i was going to put together a list of things i wanted addressed, my ideas were as follows

hydroboost brake system - as it already has had problems

engine - im not sure about diesels, just check for leaks, compression test maybe? check the fluid levels,

trans - check for leaks, shifting, fluid levels

transfer case - check for leaks, operation, and fluid levels

axles - check levels and for operation

check the lights, horn, basically a VA inspection including brakes and hubs and whatnot.

im going to be calling the dealerships near the owner and asking specifically for a service department with a dedicated diesel tech who would be familiar with the 6.2L diesel, but would a non-military service tech be familiar with the hydroboost brake system?

any other thoughts would be greatly appriciated.

there are some bodywork concerns, but im more worried about the mechanicals at this point. although according to the owner, it had a carfax confirmed 55,700 miles on it, so im guessing its in great shape drivetrain wise.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Hydroboost is not a military thing; all the 6.2/6.5 diesels have it, as did some (1-ton) gassers. The diesels had it 'cuz they don't make vacuum for the booster.

-- A

3. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like you want to be an informed buyer. Problem is, most sellers find a way to shuffle around buyers who want to know every detail. It's a lot easier for them to find a guy who just buys as-is, with very few detailed questions asked. Your on the right track by checking into everything- good luck man!

4. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

good to know, so as long as i find a diesel tech i should be well covered. :)