Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying 20 acers in Elko Nevada...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by landsmasher, Apr 8, 2004.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Cool eh?

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Like cards that much that you plan to stack the deck? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

"Elko" has a ring

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Whats an acre go for down there?

I'm looking at buying 5 acres in the country next month when the owners come back home. Price will probably be around $2500 for the 5 acres. Can you beat that? /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I'll stop by and do a couple of donuts in the yard on my way out to Ruby Valley......... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

sweet man /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif you can't go wrong with land. the value will only go up. I went in with my grandfather and the two of us bought 100acres out in Brush, Colorado. Then there is the 2400 acre portion down there in Elbert County /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Realeste is where its at, plain and simple...there is a lot of initial outlay (in many cases) but the long term returns are astronomical. The majorite of my families ranch (the 2400 acres) was purchased 13 years ago at $750 an acre. the current land value is about $2500 and acre. That is a ~230% appreciation in land value in just over a decade.

Way to go man...

Chirs

7. landsmasher

[ QUOTE ]
    Price will probably be around $2500 for the 5 acres. Can you beat that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is $2500 for the whole 20 acres... What happened was that a friend of mine inherited 40 acres. Now he wants to buy a small business from me for $2500. He offered me the property instead. I took it... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Price will probably be around $2500 for the 5 acres. Can you beat that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is $2500 for the whole 20 acres... What happened was that a friend of mine inherited 40 acres. Now he wants to buy a small business from me for $2500. He offered me the property instead. I took it... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

DAMN!!! Definitely cannot beat a deal like that!!! Good job! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    I thought you were buying a junkeryard of AMC's... Tehn I realized those were Pacers... And then I saw the reference to land...

Good deal!! Wanna sell an acre cheap to someone that'll want to but probably never come out and see it??

10. landsmasher

You been drinkin that Canadian beer again? LOL!

I'm planning on moving to Nevada in a year or less. I won't be living in Elko at this time but it's nice to know I have property there that I "could" build on. Nothing wrong with owning 20 acres in God's Country... I doubt I will sub-divide it... I was thinking it would be a good place to have as a get away home. Thunder tells me there is great fishing around those parts. Check out these websites..

http://www.elkoguide.com/

http://www.cowboycountry.org/elko.html

The new business I'm getting into is going to take me all over Nevada on the road. It will be based out of Las Vegas but I will be traveling to Tahoe, Reno, Carson and a series of other smaller towns in between. The Janies Ranch thing went out the window with the heart attack. But this new business is a much better investment and affords me the chance to do a heck of a lot of traveling in a state that I just love. You are welcome to fly out here and fish with me and Thunder any time you want! We'll make sure you have a great time... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Consider the invitation accepted... Just not yet scheduled.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. landsmasher

You got it bud... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Price will probably be around $2500 for the 5 acres.

[/ QUOTE ]

$2500 bucks here, you could buy like a stepping stone and place it in a lot and that'd be your space.... It's getting beyond crazy.

14. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

well holy cow... I better get me a better job so I can afford some land... I'd like to buy a few acres in Colorado... looking on ebay there are a few 5-40 acre lots that seem reasonable... I guess... I don't know what a good price on land is, but my mom said those are some good prices... Of course most of them are near new mexico, so it'd be like a summer hang out and camp place... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif now I just need that better job so I can afford another $150ish a month bill...

15. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

You can still buy land all over the US in spots for great prices. But if you want to live on it you have to consider things like how much will it cost to have things like meeting zoning laws, sewage, power, gas, water, phone etc... put it. Many times those costs are so extreme your great land deal suddenly doesn't look so great...

16. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I'm just looking for something to go camping on or something... maybe take a backhoe out and make myself a wheeling spot /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif... Then in maybe 10 years after it's paid off, sell it for a nice bit of change...

Land around the area I'd really like to have some land is frickin expensive... Northern Colorado in the mountains... Southern Colorado is a lot cheaper it looks like, but there aren't any trees... I found one lot that's got hills and rocks and stuff, but no trees... I guess I'll keep looking... it'll probably be a while before I have that job that'll give me enough to make a $200 a month payment on top of my $200 for the Exploder, and $75 for the phone...

17. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Shoot me a PM. I'll be glad to let ya know what kind of land you have. Whats around it what it is worth or whatever. I Know Elko Co real estate pretty well.
    Things are looking up around here in Elko since the price of gold has been up. Housing and land are selling good again. Lots a people moving here going to work and spending money. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Shoot we're even getting a Home Depot /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Also geting more and more of you Californicators moving here and retiering./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif You can stil buy a 3 bedroom/ 2.5 acres on the Spring Creek golf course for around 165,000.
    Let me know when you are going to come over my way. We'll get together for that fishing trip we have been talking about.

18. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I plan on retiring around Minden/Gardnerville/Carson City. Nevada is God's country but the prices are going up. By the time I retire, I may be pushed out to the Smith Valley near Yerington. Either way, I need some land too.

19. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

One thing about land out here in Colorado to bear in mind;

C.R.P. land is expensive but has a cash return annually. I have 640 acres just south of Genoa, Colorado that puts close to $24,000 a year in pocket for just letting the grass grow naturally and not farming it.

Some counties you are required to have a minimum of 35 acres before you can put a well on the property without getting a variance, which you will likely not get. Hence that is why you can buy smaller plots cheap.

If you buy a 5 or 10 acre plot froma "forming community" make sure they already have the water sytem in and that it is not a "future plan", or else you can be screwed.

The jist of what I am saying is be careful and make sure you have water rights. Water rights purchased for a small portion of land can be extremely expensive.

The land in Eastern Colorado (unimproved) is going for around $300.00 an acre, that should be about average anyway for this area.

Check on electricity too.

It is nice having access right of way to land as well. There are pieces of land around here you can buy cheap but the only legal access you have is by helicopter or parachute on. If you buy a piec of land is three side by private property and has a railway, or even an abondoned rail bed across the front that would be an example of what I am talking about. The railway will sell you access though for a slighly nominal fee.

John

20. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Where can I get some info on getting paid money to let grass grow???

Like I said before, I'm not looking to build a house just yet or anything, just a nice plot that can be had for $200ish a month... something I can get to without having to pay for it or being arrested... that I can sell later on down the road for at least what I paid for it...

One day hopefully I'll have the money to get a few acres in the woods and I can build a nice little house and garage up there... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif