Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying 383 tomorrow...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChadH82, Jul 10, 2001.

1. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

Well I'm going to go for the Chevy 383. Does anyone know the best/cheapest place to buy one? I think Pace wants like $3700 for one. That didn't seem too bad for a new engine. Anyone know where to get one cheaper? Thanks

Chad

2. MRBIGBLOCK

MRBIGBLOCK 1/2 ton status

put the 3700 LARGE ONES in a LARGE BLOCK 454 and it will blow the small 383 away!!!!!!! and yes BIG BLOCKS do rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

Ya Ya... Go blow your big block. sorry[​IMG] J/k... I don't need that much power or weight. 415 ft. lbs. of torque is plenty for me.

Chad

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Dude, don't buy one yet. Go buy the latest issue of Super Chevy magazine. I was looking through it the other day and found about 4 places that are selling kickass 383 longblocks. Some are wayyyyyy cheaper than the GM one. Performance Chevy, Hye-Tech, Wheeler and one more place I think. Check them out.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

Ok. Thanks. I'll look into those.

Chad

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.speedomotive.com>http://www.speedomotive.com</A>

they charge under 3 grand. you might try getting some part numbers from Laura (muddin4fun) she just put one in from napa that is around 2 grand.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

7. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

Chad,
    I would do some checking around. I just put a 383 in my Jimmy and had to pay for everything including pulling the old one out and putting the new one in. I am disable and can't do that kind of work. It only cost me $3100 total and it is a little more powerful then the normal 383. I have not gotten the paperwork from the dyno yet, but the guy that built it said it would be at least 475 hp and 525 ft. lbs of torque and he said it will pass emissions. I will find out if it passes tonight. I got charged $1100 labor for just doing the engine swap. so the motor was just $2000. Now he only gave me a 6 Month 6,000 mile warranty but that is because he knew I would be taking it off road.

8. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

Ok thanx. Has anyone heard of a place that sells engines... It's Chicago something. I can't remember what the last part is. They put out a large catalog. Anyone know?

Chad

9. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I'd look in to the speed-o-motive engine.

When in doubt.....Use the Saws-all[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I could build a really good one myself for $2k-$2.5k with aftermarket heads and the whole deal. Don't waste your money on a crate motor. Build it yourself. If you can't put the short block together, have someone do it for you. The rest is a piece of cake.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

11. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

Speedomotive has really great prices!

1988 K5- Piss on Ford/Dodge/Jeep

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wouldn't put someone else's built engine, especially a stroker, in my truck, even if you gave it to me for free. I've disassembled way too many engines that were supposedly "rebuilt" where I used to work that I know better now. I had to pull a whole engine to tighten up the bolts on the bottom of the oil pump once. 8 psi at idle before I pulled the motor, 30 psi afterwards. Amazing.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

13. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

What's the warranty when you build a motor yourself?????3yrs/36,000 miles?????

Ron