Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying 79 K5 HELP NEEDED PLEASE...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kia, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

Hi all... well it's time to buy a K5!

I hope to go and see it in the next few days, here in the UK, it's a 79 350cu in Red with a 3" lift that's all I know at the mo.

Could someone please point me in the right direction as to what to look out on it?

Suspension, engine parts, noises, springs, ANYTHING....

Thanks guys :)

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

check out the body real well for rust...fenders around wheel openings, rocker panels, rear where the tailgate hinges are, and your floor panels...

thats all i could think of other than make sure it runs good...check the oil and tranny fluid, check the undercarriage see if there is oil or tranny fluid all over the underside...that could mean some leaks in that area

Later

Just tap it in...tappity tap tap...

3. topless1tonk5

topless1tonk5 Registered Member

take a magnet with you to check for putty, if it has ANY dont buy it. pull up the carpet in front of the front seats by the kick panel to check for moisture or rust. also pull the carpet up at the back of the bed (remove the alum. strip if the seller will let you) (take a phillips) rust alway hides back there. i would'nt be too concerned with rust on the front fenders since they are ony $35 new and easy to replace, just be concerned with the tub since that is much more of a headache to fix. check all turn signals/brake lights/ wiper squirters etc.... hope this helps j.c.

4. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Yes also look along the lower door sills and rocker panels for Blazer cancer. These panels rot out easily. Start the vehicle making sure its cold before and not started before you get there. this is a great way to see for valve seats and or ring problems in the engine. Also put it in drive put your foot on the brake and hammer down the throttle if the transmission holds the truck solid and or stalls its a good trans mission. put it in 4 wheel drive and check the hubs. 79 will have a np 203 with an auto or 205 with a stick. Look at the steering box location for Blazer crack the infamous frame crack there. that will tell you how much he wheeled it. Look up high behind the fender wells in the back for clumps of mud. its hard to get it out up there. Ask the owner nicely to put down a piece of cardboard the night before you get there to show you oil leaks. 79's on the right side passenger side that is leak around the window at times check for that.if he put dual exhaust on it make sure there are two cats or no cats . They only came with single dual tail exhaust then.

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blueknight.alloffroad.com>http://blueknight.alloffroad.com</a>

5. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

Drive it just for a minute you dont have to take it out for long maybe not even off his property. make sure the tranny is switching over smoothly. Make sure you dont over pay for it, if something isn't right with it calculate what it will take and cost to fix the problem before buying it. There is nothing worse then buying something and after purchasing it figuring out your in over your head (trust me on that I know from personal experience [​IMG] ). One other thing is if the engine sounds different then it should just pop the hood and try adjusting the timing, my dad and I did that when we bought the '85 and it sounded alot better.

'85 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4 sierra classic. '84 k-5 gmc jimmy sierra. '70 cuda 440 6 pack executive edition shaker hood, steering column shift.