Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying 86 K5, tell me Im not crazy!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bluecollarjock, Nov 19, 2006.

1. bluecollarjock

bluecollarjock 1/2 ton status

Hi,
    Been looking on and off for a few years for a second 4x4 for trail riding and weekend joy riding. Grew up off roading an 87 K5, 2.5" lift springs front and rear, 33" mudders, pipe bumpers, 350 fuel inj 4 speed manual...I wheeled it long and hard for years (broke dang near everything on it at some point), drove it up and down the east coast falling apart and burning oil, finally had to sell it because it got towed and tagged as a safety hazard ha....well, I think I finally found its replacement 7 years later...and please be honest if you think its a horrible deal I could back out by tuesday if I wanted. Im in the metro DC area, poor cop in high cost of living area, going nuts as a city slicker and wanting to hit the outback again. Been test driving lifted Jeeps and trucks for months for the $4k price range, and out here it ends up basically being beaters I doubt could pass inspection or need tons of work which I wouldnt trust on a trail.

Here is the skinny:
    -86 K5 with 87k original miles
    Blazer was in a tow lot never claimed for about 4 years, mechanic bought it off the lot. The air cleaner was off it and I guess something got in the engine and it smoked a little.
    -He dropped in a crate 350 with Holley 4 barrel and Edlebrock intake, about 7500 on the engine now.
    -brand new exhaust
    -4 speed auto 700R4 tranny just serviced by a shop he works at and says it didnt need rebuilt
    -new tranny cooler installed
    -brand new 8" Rancho front leaves, leaves + blocks in rear, all new hardware
    -brand new custom rear driveshaft and u-joints, front driveshaft is stock he said people he asked said it didnt need replaced since it elongates and is okay with the lift
    -new front brakes
    -extended brake lines
    -brand new and I mean brand new 36x15.5 radial Baja Claws
    -brand new Mickey Thompson beadlock Classic II rims
    -Sony CD player, 2 kenwood 12" subwoofers, sony amp
    -new radiator
    -new bearings in axles, new seals
    -new warn locking hubs
    -new A/C condensor and charge
    -5 month old paint job, and it looks nice as heck, no rust on this thing at all except surface on the tailgate, even underneath very very minor surface rust in a few places
    -interior was all custom, his dad owns a custom shop and put in special thick padding under the carpet for the stereo or something, new carpet, doors and ceiling covered with some custom canvas looking stuff with Chevy symbol
    -No kidding, Dukes of Hazzard Dixie airhorn haha
    -tinted windows

I think thats about it. I couldnt believe how mint it looked for a 20 year old truck. The wheel combo would cost around $2k uninstalled in this area, and the lift installed around here would probably be $1k, stereo seems to be $2k system. Crate motor if its like the one I put in another GMC of mine before is a few grand....Im getting this for $5k.

Only concerns: stock gearing in the axles....but I figure I could put 4.56's (or 4.88s??) in them in the spring after saving up some money, and maybe a locker in the rear. Are the 36x15.5 Baja Claws too much for the stock axles if Im just planning on mild trail riding? The 8" lift is overkill, I can crawl on all fours underneath it without banging my head. I think 6" would have done, but he didnt want to do any trimming. The steering is not so great, the wheel has some play in it and steers like a boat, but every lifted truck and Jeep Ive driven has had the same type of feel. Could I tighten up the steering or I have to live with that on a 8" lift and big tires? Frame was solid, but I know those years have issues with frame cracks near the steering box, so maybe I should get a plate added there in the future.

Okay, am I crazy???? Ive been lamenting the loss of my 87 K5 for years...somewhere I have videos of me in high school in a mullet tearing up Western PA and NE Ohio trails, muck fields, and stream crossings..and then driving it through college and grad school until I had to finally let her go...Jeeps are the thing around here, and thats what I was intially looking at, old CJs, older TJs, and YJs...but driving the Jeeps even without big tires were all over the road to me. The big ole K5 has steering wander, but not more than the Jeeps, lifted Explorer, or 78 lifted Bronco with 37"s I drove.

Around here, Im looking at $2k-$4k just for a stock high mileage beater Blazer with no mods, lift, or tires. This truck seems too good to be true other than the stock gears making it way slow off the line. The owner is a mechanic, races cars, works on cars for a living so I am trusting the thing was put together pretty good...and even my girlfriend gave the thumbs up because it was so nice and clean she wouldnt be embarrassed to see it in my driveway.

Any comments, questions, concerns I should think about?? Im throwing my bank account out after this haha...poor cop Ill be back to week to week with the bills.

bushidotnt@aol.com is my email if you have suggestions, warnings, or affirmations its a good deal!

Thanks, God Bless, Be Safe
    Matt

2. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

seems like a damn good deal and welcome to ck5. i would totally get some thing like that with what it has on bout thats just my opinion

3. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

15.5 radials?????

Sounds like deal though.

4. chevy wrangler

my friend at school has 35/17/15 mickey thompson bajas those things are WIDE!!!

5. bluecollarjock

15.5 inches wide...they look huge hahah big knobs they are brand new

6. bluecollarjock

Looks like ill just need to figure out if I regear the stock axles, or swap in bigger ones if i can afford it..and get crossover steering help since it wanders

7. stus84

stus84 1/2 ton status

After I read this it sealed the deal - - "No kidding, Dukes of Hazzard Dixie airhorn haha" :D

The K5 sounds mint, if I were you I would pick it up. Its time to stop drooling over the magazines & videos and get some mud on your tires...

8. bluecollarjock

Thanks for all of your comments and hospitality! Happy Thanksgiving! Yea when I was driving it and hit the air horn and it played Dixie, my girlfriend was in the back seat shaking her head, "this truck has you written all over it"

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

pick that b!tch up and let me know how it goes bro.

10. chevy wrangler

post up some pics of it. and its not a bad deal after adding up the total cost of parts and time that went into it

11. k30bb468

k30bb468 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like a good deal for what it has.
    Just buy it

& Welcome

12. bluecollarjock

How do I insert a photo? Picking it up tomorrow on my lunch break!

13. chevy wrangler

get a phot bucket acount and up;oad them there and then just insert the url of the pic, its easy

14. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

http://www.uploadpics.net

you dont even need an account and it gives you the correct code to post it in the forum or on a webpage (you need BB code for the forum, and html for webpages)

15. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

sounds hot, lets see it, if you plan to get rowdy at all, those wheels and tires will take a toll on the 1/2ton axles...

16. bluecollarjock

http://www.uploadpics.net/image/73.jpeg

I cant get rowdy at first...Im strapped for cash and probably shouldnt even buy this but I think its a depression buy haha...been on light duty for medical reasons, one surgery down, another to go, and I do not make my normal SWAT overtime or other overtime I would make if I were full duty...no SWAT, no lifting weights, no running for a year, makes Matty a dull boy...so Im going to relive my teenage years by getting a jacked up K5 and draining my bank account...figures my fuel pump is buzzing and going out on my 04 Grand Cherokee that I still owe a ton on, so that will deplete the rest of my bank account in the next few weeks....

So if you had no tools, no garage, and no mechanical sense to do an axle swap on your own, would it be worth the cash to regear this beast to 4.56 or 4.88 with the stock axles and keep them open, or maybe a posi in the rear...then pray for the best a few years of light wheeling? Or park it and save up for a year to be able to afford an axle swap, but somehow keep the original rims and tires since they are brand new and cost so much ($2000)....I just dont want to drive it much with the big tires and stock gearing, it feels really bogged down and I fear chewing up the tranny if I drive it too much with the gearing it has now.

17. bluecollarjock

Picked it up today...will take pics and post soon...it looks amazing....just a slug off the line with those gears ughh...and its spraying oil from somewhere, engine ran strong as heck, but parked it and noticed oil spray all over the exhaust, dripping off the front driveshaft and coating the undercarriage...ugh....

18. bluecollarjock

19. chevy wrangler

I LIKE IT SWEET RIG
    :waytogo: