Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying 95 to 98 Tahoe/Yukon need opinions/answers

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by 76chevy, May 13, 2002.

1. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Well, the family is growing and will no longer fit in the beast. I'm thinking of getting a 4 door 95 to 98 Tahoe/Yukon. I need your opinions and answers. Probably only minamal offroading, mainly to haul people and the dog.

1. Are these dependable rigs?

2. What transmissions do they have and what kind of life do you get out of them.

3. What is the difference in the engines with the older vs newer.

4. What year did the dash change to the nicer dash?

5. Are there optional rear seats for these to sit 7 passengers on occasion?

6. What major maintanence is needed for 80,000 to 100,000 miles.

7. What kind of gas milage. 12/16?

Thank you.

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I can only answer a few-

1. they seem to be VERY dependable if they are properly maintained- I had a 94 burb- with 98,000 miles when we traded her- and it was never in the shop...

2. I haven't a clue- but I think its the same on as in the trucks with 350's...no problems with ours..

3. 95-98 will have the same engine's--- no difference. It should have the 350 which is PLENTY of power for this size rig, the Burb was powerful enough.

4.The dash changed in 95, I think what you mean by nicer is the more "aerodynamic" dash- with the rounded corners etc...

5. I would think that some company would make a 3rd seat- though me and aftermarket seat's are not friends, the truck was not designed to have it- there is sh*t for space between the back of the truck and the 3rd seat if you get one- picture a short wheel base minivan with the 3rd seat- get rearended- and well, you know the rest.

6. again if its properly maintained at 100,000 miles it needs just a tuneup- plugs, wires, filters- the things that some/most people do anyway when they buy something used.

7. We use to average 16 mpg with the burb..

8. if you are planning on needing a 7 passanger rig- just get a suburban, they MAY be about $2,000 more than a tahoe, but a h*ll of a lot more of a truck...just my .02

Brandy

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

1. Are these dependable rigs?
    - Yes. Allthough, there are a few "maitanence" items that need to be expected to be taken care of during it's life-span. Just like every other car or truck thats ever been built, it's not perfect, but it is dependable.

2. What transmissions do they have and what kind of life do you get out of them.
    - 4L60Es (up-dated 700s / computer controled) in the 1/2tons, 4L80Es in the heavys. Above average life. They seem to wear nicely.

3. What is the difference in the engines with the older vs newer.
    - T.B.I.s -vs- port injection. New-style vortec cyl heads. Far better fuel management. OBDII emissions. Advanced computer controls. - The list is pretty long, '96 was a major turnning point with all manufacturs. (If your thinking about some-other option, I would sugest looking at '97 and up. G.M. was on the ball in '96, It seems to me that some of the other manufactures were playing catch-up.)

4. What year did the dash change to the nicer dash?
    - I thought it was in '95, but I could be wrong.

5. Are there optional rear seats for these to sit 7 passengers on occasion?
    - Not on the Tahoes, If you want more seats, get a Suburaban.

6. What major maintanence is needed for 80,000 to 100,000 miles.
    - Check the owners manual, it will list everything you need.
    I like to change all fluids when I buy a new ride. So I can see how it looks, and I know it's good-to-go after.

7. What kind of gas milage. 12/16?
    - I'm not sure, better than 12, less than 20. Deppends on your driveing habits, towing, city/hwy, ect..

Over-all, I really like the C/Ks, they are good clean rides. I think they are the best product on the market. Safe and dependable. No major issues, but they do have some minor flaws that should be expected at-some point.

4. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys.

There are only 3 people in the family now plus the Golden Retriever that I have. There will soon be 4 or 5(later) depending some outside circumstances.

I'm going to look for a 96 or newer for the Vortec.

I guess the optional seats were available in 97 but I don't have to have one. I thought it would be nice for hauling teams around but if there is no leg room forget it. The last thing I want is some kids muddy feat on the back of the seat.

The suburban is too big to fit in the garage and my wife would rather have a mini-van than a suburban. She is cool with a Tahoe so that is were I'm going since they don't have 4 door full size blazers (she doesn't like blazers now matter how hard I try to convince her they are a great vehicle).

I drove a 2 door 94 Tahoe for a while and I hated the dash so I was trying to figure out when the dash changed. Thanks.

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I think the dash change was in '95.

One thing that has been a problem with some Tahoes is the rear slip yoke. It sometimes get noisy. A friend has a '95 and a '99. The '99 has a clunk in the rear end when he takes off. The dealer says it is a defect in the design of the yoke, but they haven't made a replacement piece according to them. They keep lubing it up, and someone from the dealer told him to just lube it before he decides to sell it. He is going to write to Chevy and let them know of the problem that he is having.

6. Suburbanite

Suburbanite Registered Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ... [snip] I drove a 2 door 94 Tahoe for a while and I hated the dash so I was trying to figure out when the dash changed. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dashes did change in '95. '95-'96 were the same but '97-on up passenger side dash cupholder section was replaced with passenger side airbag.

7. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

76chevy....tahoes didnt come out until 95. they basically replaced the fullsize blazer. i own a 94 blazer and love it.
    to this day i still like the old body style chevys. i like the square beefe look of my truck.the truck you drove was a blazer or an early year tahoe but not a 94.

8. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I just got a 97 not long ago and some things you might look at are the fuel pump as they are known to go south around 70-80K, the air conditioner lines can develop leaks, coolant conection on the intake manifold can get leaky, I have to replace my AC evap coil too. Other than that it is a great vehicle, I get up to 17 mpg on mine depending on 4x4 use and driving habits. Look for a truck without Autotrack if you want to lift it. The Vortec 350 is sweet, I put the Flowmaster catback on mine with a GMS cold air intake and that really helped.

9. mrs_rocko

mrs_rocko Registered Member

The Tahoes are very dependable... I own a '99 with 119,000 miles on it. I love it and will never get rid of her. Besides, she'll be the family truck when we start having our little ones. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif No major problems... have just had to change out the little normal things that go along with any vehicle having that high of mileage... the biggest of those are the alternator and tie rods. The optional rear seats for the Tahoes didn't come until 2000. But like Brandy said, there won't be any room in the back with one. I get about 12 MPG... but I also have a 6" lift on mine. All I can say is that you'll really love and enjoy them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I saw the picks of your Tahoe Mrs Rocko and it looks sweet, I plan to go with a 6" lift and 35" tires on mine. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. mrs_rocko

mrs_rocko Registered Member

Thanks! I wish I could make it bigger but that's what my future '83-'87 pickup is going to be for. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Pam.. ya forgot to mention this.. someone mentioned this one..
    coolant conection on the intake manifold can get leaky

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the most major fix.. next to the tie rods..
    But the Tahoe's are by far.. very RELIABLE !!!!
    Pam's Tahoe has never let us down. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. tjayandlisa

tjayandlisa Registered Member

Poster: hoppy

76chevy....tahoes didnt come out until 95. they basically replaced the fullsize blazer. i own a 94 blazer and love it.
    to this day i still like the old body style chevys. i like the square beefe look of my truck.the truck you drove was a blazer or an early year tahoe but not a 94.

[/ QUOTE ]

92-94 blazers(fullsize) are the same as tahoes, just didnt get the name change yet

14. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

like i said the tahoe replaced the blazer and if im not mistaken isnt 94 the last year before they made everything computerized? therefor making it differant then the blazers?