Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying a 99 Sierra 1500 4x4! Gimme the real scoop! Carfax?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by BorregoK5, Apr 14, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I haven't seen it yet, but my Dads got his eye on it and wants to take it home. I unfortunately don't know to much about the newer trucks so give it to me straight if you would. Its a 1999 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with a tow package and a 5.3 liter, power everything, 21,000 miles and running for $21,000. It was advertised at 17city/22hwy fuel mileage. the Vin is 1GCEK14TOXE207754 (hopefully the 1's arent I's.. etc). Whats the deal with the tow package..rear end.. auto hubs etc. He's going to be mostly highway on it, planning on getting a travel camper on the back and 4x4in to places to camp on occation. What should I be on alert for?

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Make sure all of the recall's were done--- the steering shaft rattle- that is going to annoy the h*ll outta ya if its not done,,, the seat belt retractors on the front seats were recalled.... something with the brakes- the "brake failure" light thing on the dash had a recall.....I'll search for our paperwork from our 99, and see what else was recalled...

we didn't have any problems with ours other than those recalls...we knew about the steering shaft, and the seatbelts BEFORE the recall...but they weren't fixed until it..
    when we traded her in she had almost 90K miles on her, all highway... John use to get about 450-500 miles to the tank- highway- which I believe was a 34 gallon tank- which is more like 13-14 MPG... it sucked the fuel, our heavy foots didin't help....

We didn't have a tow package, we had the Z-71 package...OH the one thing that is WICKED with that 4x4 system the AUTO button.... if it snows where you are..you know how you pass someone on the highway and its kind of slippery- but when your in the travel lane, its not,...well with that Auto button on, your traction kicks in when you need it and pops back out when you don't that was the one thing I wish our D/A has now... I miss that feature... All in all that was a very good truck...we only got rid of it because of all the miles she had...

good luck with it, but don't be suprised if you get less mileage than 17-21...I am averaging 17-21 with the Duramax now.

Brandy

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Excellent, thanks for all the info. I'll bring up the recall and mileage stuff as well and make sure that gets factored into the equation. I think my Dad is pretty convinced that he wants it. Its good to see him getting another 4x4 at his age, GM too (I hated his comanche!). He's giving me his 72 1 ton Cheyanne oak bed truck once he buys it but frankly I don't have room for another truck! I figure I'll have to sell it (2wd and all)Thanks again for the info!

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I wouldn't plan on that for mileage though. My dad has a 2wd with the 5.3/auto/3.73 rearend and gets between 14 and 18. 21,000 sounds like a good price for that truck though and plenty of warranty left.

5. Qubit

Qubit Registered Member

I ran the VIN. Everything looks good.

It was a corporate fleet vehicle, then it was auctioned to a dealer.

email me if you want more details.

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Well, it turned out to be a Chevy Silverado (I must have misheard). He still really likes it but looking around. Thanks for all the info, everyone!