Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying a blazer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by EDGE, Aug 12, 2000.

1. EDGE

EDGE Registered Member

Aug 12, 2000
    What's up? I'm new here.I don't know a damn thing about blazers.I've been force fed jeep all of my life but I'm sick
    of these under powered no room suv's.I'm planning on buying a mid 80's full size blazer as my next ride.Not sure what to look for.Any suggestions?
  2. Kiblsnbits

Kiblsnbits Registered Member

Feb 20, 2000
    Congratulations on seeing the light. You've found the best place on the web for all of your questions. Ok, heres just a couple things to look for. Starting in '87, Blazers were fuel injected, but before that they were all carburated, if that makes a difference to you. You should be real careful about rust, check places like the bottom of the tailgate, and under the carpet. The early 80's Overdrive Transmissions (700r4) were prone to be weak, but I havent had any problems with mine, just something to look out for. Hope you have good luck searching!

These things are EXPENSIVE
  3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

Feb 17, 2000
    <font color=blue>The first thing you should look for is rust. Blazers are notorious for rotting at the rocker panels, floorboards, where the lower seatbelt mounts are, around the wheelwells, around the wheel openings, and at the end of the floor by the tailgate.
    The 80s Blazers and Jimmies had many differnt drivetrain components. Starting in 80 (I think) GM phased out the 12 bolt rear for the 10 bolt front. I've seen 80 trucks with 10s and up to 83 with the 12. The 12 bolt is a little bit stronger then the 10, but not much. The 3/4 ton 14 bolt will bolt in under your truck but depending on what year you get, you'll need backing plates off a 9.5" SF 14 bolt to hook up your p-brake. They also phased out the dana 44 front in around 76 (again, I'm not totally sure) to around 79 or 80. Again, it's only marginaly stronger than the 10 bolt.
    The engines availible were the 305, 350, 6.2 deisel and 400 (in 80). Before 87 they had a computer-assisted Q-Jet and starting in 87 and going until 91 they had TBI. The transmisions that were availible were the TH350, 700R4, and SM465 manual. Again, I'm a 1st gen owner, so I'm not sure of all of this, but I hope this helps.

Oh yeah, good idea switching from a J**p to a K5! </font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue></font color=blue>