Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying a car 500 miles away

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Feb 27, 2006.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Just thought I would post this up, can't find the truck I want here locally and it looks like I'll be going to Salt Lake or Denver at the least and maybe farther.

Anyone ever bought a (newer) vehicle long distance?

Any wierd things with state taxes I need to worry about?

How do I get the seller to commit to the terms (is there a specific document) up front?

Any other things I should look out for?

2. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I was in Mississippi when I bought my truck from a dealer in California. There were a lot of phone calls and e-mails with pictures. I offered him a price and paid the shipping. He must have worked out any taxes that there were.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I went from Rapid City, SD. to upper ND too get a 76 K5. Pretty damn close to 500 miles. Road tripping with friends too get a vehicle can be alot fun.

4. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Very long distance trip for nothing...

Before I found the 1 ton 4 door 4wd dually that I have now, I was searching and searching for years. Well, I had already been looking for about 4 years, but in early 2003, I found one just a few miles north of Boston, Mass. I happened to be stationed at Shaw AFB in South Carolina. It was almost a 15 hour trip! But, I loaded up my 460cid F250 HD 4x4. Strapped on a tripple axle trailer and me an one of my buddies were off. Just to give you an idea of how far it is, see map below. Neither me, nor my buddy could get leave, so we did the trip over a three day weekend.

Funny thing is that when we got there, it was a total piece. I told my buddy that I didn't mind turning around empty handed. I would have rather made the trip and known it wan't the right truck than to never have gone and always wondered.

Well, to make the trip not such a total loss, we decided to stop in Manhatten on the way home. We decided to drive by ground zero and see some sights. Can you imagine a lifted 3/4 ton 4x4 with super swampers towing a tripple axle trailer in downtown Manhatten? It was a bit cramped.

Map.JPG

DSC00704.JPG

5. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When we were looking for a truck for my wife after we had our boy, I was looking for a very specific engine/trans combination in an S10 Blazer for her. I found hundreds locally, but none with the powertrain I wanted. I ended up finding one in Aspen of all places. We loaded up headed over to Doug's house in GJ there, holed up for the night then Doug and I went on to Aspen to retrieve it the next morning. I had done a carfax and another similar checkout on it, I took all of the emails and correspondence with me and did a thorough check out on the vehicle before taking posession of it. In CO it is not necessary to have the title notarized so all I did was give the guy a stack of cash, took the title and vehicle and left. The only difference between SLC and Denver would be the amount of tax you will pay on the vehicle (unless you buy it from a private party). I'm not sure how things are in CO, but here in AZ if you bring a vehicle in from out of state it has to be inspected before you can title it in AZ, but you may not have to do that in CO, so that may lead you to try Denver first.

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the responses guys.

Sure is a pain dealing with these car salesmen numbnuts, can't give you a straight answer, don't listen to a word you say.

I'd say about half of them, after I told them "Chevy or GMC, Crew Cab, gas engine" say "Boy I have the truck for you, a Ford diesel extended cab" or : "You gotta come down and see this Dodge Quad cab I have, it's real nice". Friggin idiots.

Upposed to get some e-mails back from lots in Salt Lake, Longmont (Denver), and Mesa AZ, so we'll see what happens.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have bought two cars recently from SLC that I found online. SLC is about a 250 mile drive for me. I found both cars online at: http://www.autotrader.com. There are tons fo vehicles for sale on there you can compair with. Most all dealers on autotrader have 800 numbers to call.
    One car was bought from a dealer it went pretty smoothly I got it for about 5K less than I would have paid where I live. The price he quoted me by email was the price I payed. The only added cost were the usual dealer prep/destnation charges which they stated in their quote.
    Other car was a private party car. Easy deal I gave the guy 11k cash he gave me the clear title.
    Taxes on both vehicles were paid when I registered them in my state (Nevada).. I payed no Utah taxes.
    I have also bought vehicles from Idaho with no problems or paying any taxes. I can usually get a dealer to meet me half way with the vehicle I want to buy so I dont have to travel as far.
    You should not have to pay the state taxes on a vehicle if you dont live in the state where the vehicle was bought. Technially the vehicle was bought in the state where you live in so the taxes you pay the taxes that your state charges when you register the vehicle. Dont let a dealer try to add taxes to the price. Just tell them you will pay them when you register the vehicle in your state. UNLESS you have to finance the taxes with the vehicle. Then make sure the dealer charges you the taxes your state charges and he writes up the dealers report of sale reflecting that your states taxes are paid. If he dosn't you will get nailed for them when you register. and you will have ahard time getting your money back from a dealer 500 miles away.
    Buy form a big name dealer with a good reputation. Stay away from those little corner car lots.
    Most dealers that use the internet to sell have a person designated to internet sales. Talk to that person or ask for the person in charge of out of state sales. They will work with you to make the best deal. Dont talk to some hack salesman who answeres the phone.

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Nope, sorry. No help here.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

another tale of woe...

My older brother bought a 1967 Ford Econoline van/pickup-truck at the Charlotte NC speedaway at a swap meet about 5 years ago..he paid a guy 400 bucks to go get it on a car carrier,but the guy gave a ton of excuses when it was supposed to be done..truck was brokendown,no money to fix it,etc..then the guy who owned the van calls,and said his friend who was letting him store the van at a used car lot was anxious to get it off his lot--and if it was not out of there in 2 weeks,he was going to park it in the street,and if it got ripped off,hit,vandalized,etc,oh well!!..your fault for not getting it out of here when promised..:eek1:

He ended up driving down to Charlotte NC from near south central NH to go get it with his own pickup and a tow bar!..cost him another 300 bucks for diesel fuel,and three days off from work!..after seeing what he went through to get that truck here,I doubt I'd buy anything out of state more than a few hundred miles away, unless I planned to register it there, and drive it back with 30 day plates..

Only thing I'd buy anyway is something rust free from AZ..and if I had any brain cells left,I'd STAY there,and not bring it back here,and watch it turn to a pile of rotted crap...

I don't know about taxes,etc..but I'd plan on something being a PITA,its murphy's law at its finest,when dealing with sales of automobiles that are far away..one guy I know bought a Nova out west,and when he got it here and tried to register it,the VIN was from AL,and he had to go thru hell to get the mess straightened out..ended up with a salvage title,and had to pay some unpaid taxes on it too!..and he paid 10 grand for it...:doah:

10. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i just bought a 87 k30 from a guy in ca. 2600 miles from here ga. .i have already sent him the money . waiting on to be delivered

87k30.jpg

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have bought 3 that were thatfar away or further. I just fly out and drive them back. Make sure that you have the deal nailed down and if poible have someone local to the car look it over. Call your DMV to find out about taxes and registeration. Its simple here, but is probably different there.