Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying a car off ebay

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jerry303, Dec 12, 2003.

1. jerry303

jerry303 Registered Member

I've already bought one off of ebay that was a very good deal, but I got very lucky and it was in my area. I recently found another great deal but this time it is across the country. If I had to pay to ship it the deal would be much less so I was wondering if it would be possible to fly there and drive it back? Who would I contact to get tags for it?

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i depends on what shape the car is in, i have done this once, flew in; got in it and started home, got stopped by a patrolman and explained the situation that i had bought it off ebay and just flew in to drive it back to texas, most times you are automatically covered by your insurance when you purchase another vehicles for a certain period until you can let them know; i had the title from the guy as well as a bill of sale

another similiar adventure, repo'd a truck from a "friend" that moved and conveniently quit paying on it; since i still had the title went to the dmv and got a temporary tag, got insurance, and had all the legalities taken care of before i flew in to get it

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

as long as you have your insurance papers and a bill of sale I think you'll be OK till you get it home. You might check with the local PD and see if they have to inspect the VIN number and sign a paper for the DMV to transfer the title from state to state. I did going from OH to IN.
    Tell the seller to pick you up at the airport, do the test drive and then drop him off at home.

My friend sold a motorcycle on ebay. We drove a few hours south to an air port picked him up, he took the test drive paid and we gave him directions to get back to the highway.
    We then drove 6 hour north and he bought another bike and we made a 3hour trip back home /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Call your DMV you may get a temp tag if you have the cars vin and call your ins company and add it to your policy I think that will work for you

is it a older car or newer?? I was just thinking of driving cross country with a unseen car

5. I bought my Suburban off ebay and had it delivered as it was from a car dealer. If you are buying from a private party and have the title in hand, you should be good.

Mat

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

As long as you have the title and a bill of sale dated as of the day you pick up the vichile, you should be good to go.

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I bought a Ford Explorer in Vegas and drove it home. I flew in on a Saturday and got pulled over in Idaho on a Sunday for no plates. They said that I should have gotton a temp permit from the DMV in Vegas. I said that they were closed on the weekend and I wasnt going to wait. They didnt really have an answer to that and they let it go as I did put insurance on it.

I say just make sure you have insurance and the Title/Bill of sale and you should be OK.

8. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

just find out where it's at and put up a request a ck5'r go look it over for you... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    it's been done before... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd look at a vehicle for anyone who asked /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif