Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying a cheap K5....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevy4x4, Jan 2, 2001.

1. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Ok, I have read hundreds of magazine articles and posts on various sites (mostly ck5.com) about what things to look for and watch out for when buying a used 4x4. But what are the things that sould be taken into concideration when buying a 4x4(blazer) for around 1.5-3k? What should be expected from a 2000 dollard blazer? Obviously the engine, trany, t case and axles have to be in ok condition and the body rust doesn't matter too much as long as its still on the blazer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Make sure the frame isn't cracked where the steering box bolts up at. Have a friend move the steering wheel back and forth and see if the box moves around alot.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yeah...so I guess almost everything is the same......I was hopeing for a little different answer.......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

4. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

it all depends what you you plan to do with it over the next few years.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

5. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Lifted up 6 inches, put 38s under it, add corp 14 bolt rear and dana 44/60 up front, modify the engine a bit, strip the interior for weight reduction, driving it daily and mudding and trail riding on the week ends.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Since you're going to replace most of the drivetrain anyway, I'd look for something with a very nice body and interior. That way it will at least look good while you're building it! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>