Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying a compound miter saw

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laketex, Feb 4, 2004.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Help me out here guys. Brands, features, ect. I'll be using this thing for around the house and want to stay under $250 and stay away from Dewault products if possible. Should I buy a new fixed or a used sliding? What does the sliding feature give you? Initally buying to install a wood floor in the new house, but will use on 2x4's and general molding from time to time. Any wood workers here?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

This is the one I have. Basically the same thing as you, occasional use around the house.
    Won't let me link pic
    Delta 12" ShopMaster Compound Miter Saw

Powerful 15 Amp, 120 V motor
    Quick-action miter lock for faster miter settings
    Side extensions and vertical work clamp provide support and stability
    Large horizontal handle positioned to reduce operator fatigue and provide better control
    Tall sliding fence and extensions for extra work piece support
    Extra large chute and bag provide superior dust collection
    Includes 40 tooth carbide-tipped blade, retractable blade guard, side extensions with stop block, vertical work clamp, large dust bag, 10' power cord, wrenches and instruction manual

$249.00 at Lowes

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

We have a craftsmen like the one Muddy listed.
    I have found a few uses for one of the pull-threw type that would be nice, but its also adds another $200 at least. Definatly if you doing trim work look for a laser guided. Ours doesn't have it but I have used a couple with lasers and they're pretty nice, esp in a rush if you duplicating several cuts.

I've used a Dewalt /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif 10" mitersaw with a 20" pull-threw action at my last place of employment and it was great. Esp when doing 2x6's for decking, cutting foam or vinyl siding and even small sections of plywood. You dont have to pull out the circular saw all the time.

4. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I've used a Dewalt 10" mitersaw with a 20" pull-threw action at my last place of employment and it was great. Esp when doing 2x6's for decking, cutting foam or vinyl siding and even small sections of plywood. You dont have to pull out the circular saw all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have the same saw works well but it is in the $550.00 bracket to

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've used a Dewalt 10" mitersaw with a 20" pull-threw action at my last place of employment and it was great. Esp when doing 2x6's for decking, cutting foam or vinyl siding and even small sections of plywood. You dont have to pull out the circular saw all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have the same saw works well but it is in the $550.00 bracket to

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I liked it... having used it I wouldn't buy a reg chop saw /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Take everybody's advice and by a 10" sliding mitre saw. They are WAY more versatile and you will really regret not spending the extra couple hundred bucks after you realize how limited you are with a simple chop mitre saw. Ask me how I know...... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Another vote for the sliding style. The "chop saw" type won't cut much more than a 2x4, and the "cut area" shrinks as the angle of the cut increases. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The sliding style is way more versatile. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

crap

bling bling bling.....I'll look for a used sliding style. I hear ya on the sizes that can be cut. I'll be building a 2x6 deck within a year as well...

9. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

The sliding feature greatly increases the width of the piece you can cut. Here some numbers for cutting at 90 degrees...

Saw Capacities in inches
    10" 5 - 5 3/4
    12" 7 1/2 - 8
    10" sliding 11 1/2 - 12 3/4
    12" sliding 12 - 13

In general the non sliding are a little more accurate.

I just got the January American Woodworker magazine and they compare several mitersaws, no sliders though. Their favorites were the Delta 36-255L for $350 it's a twelve inch with dual lasers and a tall fence for crown moulding. And the Porter-Cable 3802L also for $350 it's very similar to the Delta.

Abd the Craftsman 24276 was rated a best buy at $180. It has decent fence height and included hold down.